You know, back when the terror of the Year 2000 Bug was buring up the media, I recall being slightly annoyed when "Year 2000" was shortened down to Y2K -- after all, wasn't it an abbreviation that got us all into trouble in the first place?

So now that Y2K is gone, I thought we could get back to our happy little lives. But NO. Some pricks -- jocks, no less -- had to name their video game NFK 2K1. What? What the hell?! Have you no RESPECT? Can you not let this crap DIE?!

As long as I am ranting, here's something else you're going to have to deal with for at least the next twelve years: Take a look at this date:

03/02/01

What does that mean to you? March 2, 2001? Feb 3, 2001? Or is that even the year on the right? Oh, I know. You're going to tell me, "month, day, year, idiot." Oh, but what if I'm from Europe? This is the Internet, after all. I could be in Zimbabwe for all you know. In many other countries, the standard is day/month/year.

The ISO even has a spec for this. According to their spec, dates should be dd-mm-yyyy. This confuses the hell out of us selfish Americans. Here's the funny thing, though -- it makes sense when you are sorting. Things get more granular as you move from right to left.

You know how to avoid this ambiguity? You do what the military, amateur radio "hams", and even the Everything server does: WRITE IT OUT. I wrote this node "Feb 5, 2001". I would usually write that "5 Feb 2001", but you would have figured it out either way, right? How about if I just wrote 5-2-01? You would have had to have made a guess, one that had a 50% chance of being wrong.

How DARE you blame programmers for the Year 2000 fiasco, when you can't even write the full year out yourself.

You live in an age when communications erases borders. Learn how to think internationally.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.