Although this Super Tuesday had fewer races than in some previous years, it still had a wide assortment of races, with states in every area of the country being represented. The United State's geography being what it is, most of the big races were in the Eastern part of the country, and by the time the returns in places like North Dakota, Idaho and Alaska rolled in, they were somewhat anti-climactic to the main drama of the night.

But still very revealing were the results from these states. They are also, as mentioned previously, disproportionately important compared to their population due to the bonus that is given to states which have voted Republican in past elections.

North Dakota was not surveyed heavily, but it is next door to Minnesota, which gave Rick Santorum a surprise victory back in early February. It is also a caucus state, which tends to favor voters with stronger beliefs. And indeed, the results from North Dakota were in line with expectations, with Rick Santorum getting 40% of the vote, Ron Paul receiving 28% of the vote, and Mitt Romney coming in third with 24% of the vote.

The results show several things. Despite his front runner status, Mitt Romney still is doing poorly in many Republican base states, getting less than 25% of the vote. This shows that in conservative leaning states, without the input of large amounts of advertising money, Romney's numbers quickly become rather marginal. Secondly, North Dakota was one of four states on Super Tuesday in which Ron Paul could have pulled off a win, and while he did do well, he again came short of a win.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.