Toyota Corona was built after many years of research with prime importance placed on the safety of driver and passengers.

However, the car's life will depend much on you. With proper handling and care, your new car will give you many years of driving pleasure and good service. To ensure this good service, this manual gives important information on the operation and maintenance of your car.

The network of Toyota Distributors and Dealers with well-trained staff and facilities to match, provides you with the best possible service. Have them inspect your car and follow their suggestions for many miles of pleasant trouble-free driving.


This car was made in both sedan and station wagon formats, and available in both automatic and manual transmission. It is reasonably safe and there are still quite a few around - they are reasonably hardy cars. A slightly larger and more luxurious model of the Toyota Corolla, the Corona was discontinued some time in the mid-'80's.

Specifications

DIMENSIONS cm (in)
Wheel Base: Sedan & Wagon - 250 (98.4)
Tread: Sedan front - 134.5 (53), rear - 132 (52). Wagon front - 134.5 (53), rear - 135 (53.2)
Length: Sedan - 421 (165.7). Wagon - 428 (168.5)
Width: Sedan & Wagon: 161 (63.4)
Height: Sedan - 139 (54.7). Wagon - 142 (55.9)
Ground clearance: Sedan - 165 (6.5). Wagon - 155 (6.1)

TYRE SIZE
Both the sedan and wagon had one of three sets of tyres; same for all four wheels:
6.45 S 14, 165 SR 14, and 175 SR 14.

ENGINE - Toyota 18R
Type: In line four cylinder chain driven SOHC
Bore and Stroke: 8.85 x 8 cm (3.48 x 3.15 in)
Piston Displacement: 1968cc (120.1ci)
Compression Ratio: 8.5:
Maximum Horsepower: 119hp at 5,500rpm
Maximum Torque: 17.8 m/kg (125 ft/lb) at 3,600rpm


ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Battery: 12V 40AH
Alternator: 12V 45amps
Starter Motor: 12V 0.9hp

TRANSMISSION
Manual: Four speed synchromesh on forward gears. Gear ratios:
  • 1st: 3.579
  • 2nd: 2.081
  • 3rd: 1.397
  • 4th: 1
  • Reverse: 4,399


  • Automatic: Aisin-Warner - Automatic three speed. Gear ratios:
  • Low: Aisin-Warner - 2.450. Borg-Warner - 2.39
  • 2nd: AW & BW - 1.45
  • Drive: AW & BW - 1
  • Reverse: AW - 2.222. BW - 2.09


  • There is no tachometer in either the Corona or the Corolla models. Learn to listen.
    This is the car I drive and it has only done 53,000km (33,000 miles) as I write this. Odds are that if you can find another car of this vintage it will have done much more, and engine troubles will show. At the moment, It takes about 6-7 minutes to warm up if it hasn't been driven for over 12 hours, and a couple of minutes more on a really cold day. For the first five minutes of driving, operation may be a little jerky, mainly in the bottom two gears. Reverse and second gears are both a little temperamental, especially when cold. After longer drives (say an hour or more) or a period of reasonably rough driving there is a tendency for pressure to drop in the petrol tank, as I don't think there is a fuel tank vent valve. I'm not sure if this is confined to my car, that year, or the whole Toyota range, but you can hear a tell tale hiss coming from the cap. I usually open it and let the pressure equalise.

    The car has needed new seals on the front and back windscreens, and the lights that illuminate the dashboard have a tendancy to work their way loose occasionally, but a good thump on the dash sorts it out and if they do come loose it is relatively easy to get behind the instrumentation, if a little cramped. Most components of the engine are pretty easy to get to as well; this is a good car for performing your own repairs. Do not get this car if you like music. It has an optional AM Radio that fits into a slot smaller than the universal standard. I don't think radios are even made for this size anymore, and there is only one speaker in the top centre of the dash. The doors are quite thin and you would have alot of trouble trying to put speakers in (I am though, so I'll update it if/when I do).

    This car now would have a Blue Book value of about $500 Australian (about $300US) but one in nice condition could fetch up to $1500AU. If you can, track down an Owner's Manual for the car, it has good technical information and instructions on maintenance you perform yourself. Finally, use a fuel of over 92 Octane, and have the tyres at about 30-33psi. Happy driving.

    Technical data from the manual.

    Update 22/08/2002: The left rear mudguard has almost fallen off. I caught it when there was about an inch of rubber still holding it on. There is a metal plate that keeps the guard together, but it has broken through from age. I put a screw through the guard and the rim, but it is only a temporary solution until I can get some rubber to cut another to size.

    Update 17/10/2002: Punctured a tyre on Grand Final Day. Found out that the required tyre types have not been made for about twenty years, and the equivalent replacement sets have not been made for about five. Now the spare tyre is a different type to the rest. Bah.

    Update 09/09/2004: tally ho wrote the car off while stoned. Car is now small cube in wreckers' yard.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.