He who would better behold these Times in their greatest glory could not find a better scene than Turkey.

- Englishman Sir Henry Blount, obviously quite awed by what he has seen on his recent visit to the Ottoman Empire


In the year AD 1635...

  • The Thirty Years' War *almost* comes to an end.
    • Disheartened by the crushing blow dealt to the Protestant forces the previous year at the Battle of Nördlingen, most of the German Protestant princes sue for peace, resulting in the Peace of Prague, whereby the odious Edict of Restitution is all but revoked and the Lutheran states agree to join forces with the Holy Roman Empire to expel the Swedes.
    • However, Cardinal Richelieu of France, although himself a Catholic, is unwilling to see the combined power of the Hapsburgs and Spain go unchecked, so he extends huge monetary subsidies to the Swedes and the remaining German Protestant forces under Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar in order to keep them in the war, and for the first time brings France openly into the war in opposition to the Spanish and the Austrians, thus ensuring that the war will drag on for another 13 years.
    • Little happens in terms of actual fighting, although French forces under the Protestant general Henri, Duc de Rohan do manage to capture the all-important Valtellina mountain pass between Italy and Germany.
  • In Japan, the Tokugawa shogunate further isolates itself from the world with the promulgation of the third sakoku edict and tightens its social control apparatus with the initiation of the sankin kotai system of hostage taking to ensure the loyalty of the great daimyo lords.
  • Roger Williams is banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony as a religious dissident for speaking out against harsh punishments for religious offenses and the mistreatment of Native Americans. Williams would found his own colony, now known as Rhode Island.
  • The French Academy is chartered by Cardinal Richelieu for the purpose of maintaining the purity of the French language by regulating French grammar, spelling, and literature.
  • The Boston Latin School, the oldest public school in the Americas, is said to have been founded.
  • The English words recruit, voracious, protuberance, equilibrate, and modernity make their earliest known appearances.

These people were born in 1635:

These people died in 1635:


1634 - 1635 - 1636

17th century

How they were made

Women who died in 1635:
Erauso, Catalina de (1592–1635)
"Spanish woman who fled a convent and, disguised as a man, rose to the rank of lieutenant in the Spanish colonial army in South America, then returned to Spain where her exploits were immortalized." Pacheco painted: Her portrait.

Woman of the Wampanoag Indian Tribe
"Woman of the Wampanoag Indian Tribe was born about 1600, in Massachusetts Bay Colony, British Colonial America. She had at least 1 daughter with Ebenezer Fry Jones. She lived in Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts Bay Colony, British Colonial America in 1618. She died in 1635, in Massachusetts Bay Colony, British Colonial America, at the age of 35."

Women of color:
Women and Slavery in the French Antilles, 1635-1848
Authors: Bernard Moitt
"Categories: Social Science Moitt examines the lives of black women in bondage, evaluates the impact that the slave experience had on them, and assesses the ways in which women reacted to and coped with slavery in the [French Caribbean for over two centuries. As males outnumbered females for most of the slavery period and monopolized virtually all of the specialized tasks, the disregard for gender in task allocation meant that females did proportionately more hard labor than did males. In addition to hard work in the fields, women were engaged in gender-specific labor and performed a host of other tasks. Women resisted slavery in the same ways that men did, as well as in ways that gender and allocation of tasks made possible. Moitt casts slave women in dynamic roles previously ignored by historians, thus bringing them out of the shadows of the plantation world into full view, where they belong."

Public schools get started in the north american colonies which means jobs for women:
"Evolution Of Women's Education In The United States." by Ednah Dow Littlehale Cheney (1824-1904)
"The public schools established in 1635 made small provision for women, and even in 1789, when both sexes were to be admitted, the girls could only attend from April to October. The rule which was adopted, "that no children under seven years should be received in the schools," proved advantageous to women, for, as many thought instruction needful for children at an earlier age, Sunday-schools added secular instruction to their religious work, and as these schools were under the care of female teachers, a body of experienced women were ready to take charge of the primary schools when they were established, thus introducing the employment of women as teachers, which forms so marked a feature in our schools. The charity schools also helped to correct the inequality in the education of boys and girls, as they were in most instances established by ladies for girls only. "

We did not invent sex:

Those Loose Ladies: An Examination of Scandalous Puritan Women in Massachusetts From 1635 to 1700.
Author:Rachel Fleming
Abstract
"People today act like scandalous women are an invention of the twentieth century. For some reason it is widely believed that women were not promiscuous prior to the hippie days of the sixties or if they are being generous- the twenties. This idea could not be further from the truth because scandalous women have been part of American society since before it was even an “American” society. In fact, the Puritans who settled most of Massachusetts in the seventeenth century were incredibly scandalous people, even by today’s standards. This paper examines scandalous Puritan women in Massachusetts from 1635 to 1700 by looking at social, sexual, and religious crimes and sins. Puritan women have been ignored for most of our history, and it was the goal of this paper to share their stories and dispel the myths and stereotypes surrounding them, while establishing a beginning of female scandal in Massachusetts and the United States."

Women speaking up:
"Anne Hutchinson demands that women be allowed to speak in church and is banished from her church as a result."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.