Breathe. None of it is real. (39)

Sylvain Neuvel's 2021 novel blends original characterization, an SF thriller plot, and historical detail to tell the story of the enigmatic aliens behind the hidden history of the world.

For thousands of years of history, a pair of aliens and their essentially-identical descendants have been interfering with humanity. One set wants to bring us to the stars; the other set wants to stop them. Both can be killers, and neither has full possession, after all of this time, of the knowledge with which they arrived.

Neither much resembles the popular tropes associated with ancient aliens. They show little interest in pyramids.

The tale moves quickly while including a lot of historical detail, real and imaginary. The flashbacks create fascinating alternate takes on events, and provide some of the strongest moments in the book. We see that many of the rules our aliens follow did not originate on a far-off star. They evolved over time, as the visitors developed strategies to live among humans. And one particular event disconnects our multi-generational principals from a complete understanding of their own origins.

History is like that.

A History of What Comes Next apparently inaugurates the Take Them to the Stars series. I really enjoyed this novel, but I find myself wondering if it needs a series. The slightly absurdist open ending works well with the thematic elements and somewhat satiric tone. In addition, by concluding right when the Space Race starts going somewhere, the novel need not alter current events.

However, the players will continue in variants of their fascinating present forms. I suspect many readers want to see what happens when we actually reach the stars. Despite misgivings, I will read the next installment.

The novel features appendices: suggested reading and a recommended playlist.

300 words

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.