Our fiction is more entertaining than Wikipedia's.

The Best of The Week

panamaus. The true story of David Cholmondeley Palmer

As I recall, I first met panamaus at a cryptography conference run by my then employers. At the time he was teaching number theory at Manchester University and I was doing data meta-analysis for Her Majesty's Government in Cheltenham. I was at the conference as part of a GCHQ group who were looking for talent, head-hunting if you will. When I hear stories of how the government recruited people for the WWII Code School at Bletchley Park, I flash back to that conference. This wasn't just a man who knew numbers, could crack The Times' cryptic crossword, he had a refinement rarely found in my circles. Erudite, brilliant, direct and charming, he could easily have booted Benedict Cumberbatch out of his role in The Imitation Game. Of course after the last talk of the evening, I buttonholed him and dragged him down to the pub for a beer, which naturally became several, and led to our lasting friendship.

That

A deviant causal chain or wayward causal chain is any situation in which a casual relationship between two events has unexpected implications due to a deviant chain of intermediate events connecting them. Deviant causal chains were first defined by Donald Davidson in the sixties to provide counterexamples to certain naïve definitions of agency. Counterexamples to the tripartite theory of knowledge, called Gettier problems, may also be thought of

Unicorns are native to the Alps, with a historical range stretching from eastern Switzerland to the western Carpathians, and some ancient isolated populations in the Apennines and the Grampians.

Much reduced in their native territory, they are simultaneously an invasive species in northeastern North America, being descended from the escapes of an

News for Noders

April 1: The E2 Dadaism Quest starts today! Please show off your Dadaist chops with lots of fig inverted urinal.

April 1: The 2024 LieQuest has been cancelled.

April 12: Yuri's Night

April 22: Happy Earth Day, fellow earthlings!

April 23: Saint George's Day.

April 24: Happy birthday, Rancid_Pickle!


If you have something to add to the monthly news, /msg Tem42.

March 14th: Pi day.

March 10th: Daylight saving time celebrated by many.

March 19th: The first equinox of the year.

March 31st: Happy birthday mad girl's love song!


Get ready for LieQuest 2024, starting on April 10th!


If you have an item for this calendar, /msg Tem42.

February 2: Happy birthday Auspice!

February 2: Happy birthday npecom!

February 5: Happy birthday wertperch!

February 8: Happy birthday to panamaus

February 15: Happy birthday Admin to the goo!

February 15: Terse Quest 2024 begins!

February 23: Happy birthday Samuel Pepys!

February 29: Happy birthday Browncoat!


If you have an item for this calendar, /msg Tem42.

January 1: Gregorian New Year.

January 16: National Nothing Day.

January 24: Happy Birthday Silverai_me!

January 26: Happy Birthday Segnbora-t!

January 30: Happy Birthday O-Swirl!


If you have something to add to the monthly news, /msg Tem42.

December 1: Iron Noder ends

December 9: Smallpox eradication day.

December 12: Happy birthday to horacetheclown!

December 18: Hanukkah begins.

December 21: Winter solstice arrives 10:27 PM, EST.

December 23: Happy birthday to Nemosyn!

December 25: Merry Christmas!


If you have an item for this calendar, /msg Tem42.