If you find any nodes you think should be in this category, message the maintainer (or an editor) with your suggestion.

Maintained By: The Custodian

This all started a few years ago.

When I was in college, I took flying lessons. I continued to take them the year after I graduated, but it was difficult - it was difficult during college because money, and afterwards because I had moved to New York City. As a result, getting to the airport became a 2-hr process instead of a 20 minute process, but I kept it up. I got to within 3 or so flights of my final checkride, and then I went to graduate school in another state, telling myself "I'll finish up when I get settled."

Yeah.

Fast forward 20 years (ugh). I was talking with a friend of mine about many things, one of which was 'regrets.' I mentioned the fact that I'd never finished my pilot's license. He asked "If you got it, what would you do with it?"

I thought about it for maybe 30 seconds. "I'd fly myself across the Australian Outback."

"Why?"

"Never been to Australia, and always wanted to go - and that's one of most stringent but attainable tests of my independence as a pilot."

He thought about it for a minute, then said "I think you should get your license. When you do, I'll take that flight with you."

He was serious. A couple of years ago, I restarted my training, and around 18 months ago I got my license.

So. Time to do what I set out to do.

This series of short nodes will hopefully serve to describe the process by which I plan and achieve this goal, as well as documenting the trip itself. At present, the notional departure date is maybe 2.5 months away and I don't have the trip fully nailed down (for reasons which will become clear). There's probably a 10% chance the trip doesn't happen this summer at all, and a further 40% chance that I go to Australia but don't get to make the flight (again, for reasons which will become clear). I'm still plugging away, however, and I hope like heck this actually comes off.

UPDATE: It came off! I'm presently in Australia, with an airplane, having a blast. Follow along in the daylogs below, and thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement! -custo

UPDATE UPDATE: MADE IT! I flew across Australia (from Sydney to Broome) - waded in the surf and had a cigar - then flew back via Alice Springs to Stawell, Victoria. After getting stuck in Stawell for a few days due to weather, we headed back northeast to Dubbo (closing the loop) and then flew back to Sydney/Camden via Bathurst. An incredible trip. 51 hours flying time, around 5200+ nautical miles, tons of great experience and memories.

 TitlebyType
1 May 3, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
2 May 8, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
3 May 12, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
4 June 18, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
5 June 23, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
6 June 26, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
7 June 28, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
8 July 3, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
9 July 4, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
10 July 5, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
11 July 7, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
12 July 8, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
13 July 9, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
14 July 10, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
15 July 11, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
16 July 12, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
17 July 13, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
18 July 14, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
19 July 19, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
20 July 20, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
21 July 21, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
22 July 22, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
23 July 23, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
24 July 25, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
25 July 28, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
26 July 30, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup
27 July 31, 2014 (log) The Custodian writeup