In the past decade iceberg has taken on a new meaning within internet meme subculture. This all centers around a collection of template images of whole of icebergs, top to bottom, which are used to create charts displaying levels of knowledge and obscurity on a given topic. The image is based on how only the tip of an iceberg is visible on the surface of the water with the rest obscured by the deep. The standard format shows an entire iceberg from the side with it's top above the waves and its underside slowly disappearing into the inky abyss. Over that image are plain lines of text denoting specific ideas, claims, myths, trivia, and the like surrounding a given topic. The lower on the page the more obscure and bizarre the subject with the lowest level being reserved for things that nobodies ever heard of. The image is usually arbitrarily divided into numbered or labeled levels expressing where given topics fall in the weirdness hierarchy. As a final flourish each level can have a picture on it's right depicting the kind of person who's attained that level of knowledge/trivia/gnosis.

As with so many things on the internet this image format covers the most and least important topics from all over the spectrum; from globe spanning conspiracy theories to computer game trivia. Literally anything and everything that people care about has its strange claims, urban legends, and running jokes whose recognition marks the true fan. On the other hand iceberg images can give the casual viewer a list of topics to read up on if they want to get deeper into a subject. All of this assumes that the image represents a decent summation of the topic from most common knowledge to least. In reality anybody can throw an image together with arbitrary rankings, deliberate omissions, and phrases that don't mean anything but which some obsessive will spend hours fruitlessly researching. Serious, ironic, or some ratio of both, icebergs seem to be a fairly stable format having existed continuously since the mid-2010s to the present. Try putting "x iceberg" into a search engine for any given x and your likely to get something at least slightly related.

IRON NODER XV: LAST SECOND BARE BONES IRON NODER FREAKOUT!