This recipe is quite filling and actually inexpensive to make if you're on a budget.

What You Need:

  • 2 pastry pie crusts (not graham!)
  • 1 lb of lean ground meat (I use the cheap chubs of turkey or beef, or even a bag of Morningstar meatless crumbles)
  • 1 lb can of whole kernel sweet corn
  • 1 8oz can of sliced carrots or sliced fresh carrots
  • 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup red or sweet onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
  • Sea Salt, to taste
  • Fresh ground black pepper, to taste

What You Do:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
  2. Place the first raw pastry shell in a deep pie tin.
  3. Put a third of the selected meat on the bottom.
  4. Layer half the corn, all the carrots, half the green pepper, half the onion, and half the celery on the meat.
  5. Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
  6. Repeat 3-5 as the next layer except without carrots.
  7. Put the rest of the meat on a layer over the top and add salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Cover with the second pastry crust and pinch the edges to seal the pie.
  9. Cut several two-inch slits to allow steam to escape while baking.
  10. Place on cookie sheet and bake for ten minutes to seal, then lower the temperatore to 350f degrees and bake for fifty minutes.

I sometimes switch up the veggies for a change so it doesn't get boring, assuming you have a very tight financial month you have to get through.

 

FeXII