Prince George Alexander Louis is the eldest son and first child of Prince William and Catherine Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Born in London on July 22, 2013, he is currently third in line to the throne of the United Kingdom behind his father and grandfather. He is the Queen's third great-grandchild and her first great-grandson.

William married Middleton on April 29, 2011. It was announced that she was pregnant in December of 2012 when she was admitted to hospital after suffering from severe morning sickness. The due date was eventually announced as mid-July 2013. The Duchess of Cambridge was admitted to hospital in the early stages of labour on July 22; the announcement of a successful delivery came several hours later. All three of the baby's living grandparents (as well as Prince Charles's second wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall) visted on July 23.

The family left hospital the day after the birth. George, swaddled in a white blanket, was barely visible — but the appearance of a tiny hand poking out of the blanket led to jokes about his first "royal wave."

The baby's name was not released until after the Queen had visited the couple and their son on July 24. It's presumed that they wanted her to be the first to know. They were naming their son after her father, though, so she probably wasn't going to object. It has been noted that his middle names, Alexander and Louis, appear to honour the Queen (whose middle names include Alexandra) and Louis Mountbatten. Louis is also one of William's middle names.

George was christened by the Archbishop of Canterbury at Kensington Palace on October 23, 2013. His godparents included friends of his parents as well as his father's cousin, Zara Tindall.

George's paternal uncle, Prince Harry, noted after the birth that his roles included protecting George and "making sure he has fun," which almost certainly gave a few royal handlers a coronary.

His full title is His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge. (This may change when his father eventually becomes prince of Wales.)

The city of Prince George, B.C., has dropped substantially in Google result rankings since the announcement of the royal baby's name.

 


 

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news-and-diary/royal-birth-name
William and Kate head home with baby prince