A tradional Polish cabbage dish.
I remember my mother and grandfather arguing over who got more salt pork (they called it "Scuda") in their portion.



A good way to dirty a majority of the pans in your kitchen. The result is a wonderful ethnic treat for special occasions.


Drain and rinse the package of sauerkraut.

Cut the cabbage into a large dice. Place the cabbage and sauerkraut into a large pan and cover with water. Cook the vegetables until tender and drain well.

Dice the potato and place in a saucepan with the dried peas. Cover the vegetables with water and cook, stirring often, until the pea s have absorbed all of the water.

Cook the mushrooms in a small amount of water until they are rehydrated and soft. Add the mushrooms to the cabbage mixture.

Cut the salt pork into small pieces and fry until brown. Chop the onion into a small dice and fry the onion in the browned salt pork until the onion is translucent. Do not allow the onion to brown.

Add the salt pork mixture and the pea mixture to the cabbage.

To make the flour gravy, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small frying pan and stir in 1 tablespoon of flour. Cook the mixture together until the mixture is brown. Stir in a small amount of water to make a thick smooth gravy.

Mix the flour gravy into the cabbage mixture and the dish is ready. You are now free to do the dishes for the next hour.