I am only one person
But I AM one person
I cannot do everything
But I can do something
And because I cannot do everything
I will not let it prevent me from doing the one thing or something I can do.

Busy busy day for a sunday. Today's theme is hiatus, boys and girls.

In the morning I went to church to sing. My apartment is so delightfully echoey that I always feel as if my voice is diminished in performance, but then again that helps produce the wonderful melding with other people feeling that choral singing produces in me. Endorphins, endorphins, endorphins. We sang two songs, plus the congregational hymns. I'm going to have the unmemorable Rock of Ages stuck in my head all week from the looks of things. I was given a lovely iris; it was the big thank-you-to-volunteers-welcome-to-new-members-goodbye-to-grads-summer-is-here service. The choir pianist, I was surprised to see, was among the new members welcomed in. I wasn't; next year I will be, I suspect. The church was fuller than I've seen it ever. This was the first sunday of the summer where there will only be one service instead of two or three. The church has no minister right now, so attendence has been dropping off. I kind of like the haphazardness of the services.. someone new officiating each one, lots of different flavours. It seems suitable for unitarianism. I gather that the worship committee is going a little crazy, though. There's an interim minister hired to start in the fall, while the big ole ministerial search is underway. He's a chemist turned minister, apparently. A scientific mystic, one fellow said. Neat. Interesting, at least.

I returned my music folder and ducked out before the picnic. I'm feeling a little sad that the choir is done for the year until they start up again in the fall. I just joined a little less than a month ago and I'm in love, I want more more more now that I've settled the wonderful joy of singing back in to my life. Ahh well. There's talk of busking in the summer to raise money; that sounds cool.

I took a taxi on my own for the first time ever this morning, on the way to church. I'm usually the biggest bus booster ever, copping a zen attitude about missing buses, never running to catch them, always leaving enough time to miss every bus.. today I missed two buses and was going to miss the rehearsal and thus my chance at one last bout of choral glory, so I flagged down a cab and got there.. earlier than the right bus. Sigh. Dangerous. TransitGirl and I are slowly drifting apart, identical twins going to different colleges.

I had a lovely afternoon with my hax0r, sitting around ignoring each other together, me to read, him to hack. Bliss.

tonight was a going away party for a friend of mine who is headed for australia and points in southeast asia for an undetermined length of time. so many people showed up.. it was a big big meet all full of people I knew. we went to the park and played some very chaotic croquet. I was about to staple a sheet of stamps to his card when I realized that canadian postage stamps wouldn't be very useful where he's going. I wish I knew how long he'd be gone. I feel so sad, like I won't see him until some raucous accounting at the end of time, though I suppose six months is somewhat more likely. I gave him a hug before I left; I think that's maybe the fifth time in as many years that I've ever touched him. He reminds me of my dad: we don't speak much or see each other much or interact much at all but for reasons I can't articulate or fully understand I'm inordinately fond of him and I'd trust him with.. I don't know, anything. I'll miss him a lot. It surprises me and it doesn't. I wonder if any of that shows up in a quiet "I'll miss you" as I turn my back and walk briskly off down the street.. ah well, we'll meet again.

work tomorrow and I don't want to. oh well, my partner is back after her huge exam and I have my vacation in a fortnight. thank god, I haven't had any time off since november, well before RRSP season came and went. My loopiness threshold has been greatly lowered lately.