A cultish but more or less non-threatening religious group who are heavily in to dreams. They are the "religion of the sound and light of god". They believe that god is a great sound and a bright light, and that lucid dreaming can be a religious experience. They believe that by invoking one god-like sound, "Huuuuuu", you can control your dreams. There is always a Living Eck Master, who supposedly visits Eck practicers in their dreams to provide spiritual guidance. Right now the Living Eck Master is some soft-spoken fellow in South Africa.

I say cultish because they have a few recruitment practices reminiscent of many cults. First, the charismatic leader. Second, they often host free "Dream Seminars" offering to teach dream interpretation without mentioning their religious affiliations, and then spend the entire seminar talking about Eckankar, giving out religious material, and getting people to chant Hu. Creepy, but as I said, not particularly threatening and easy to walk away from.

Eckankar is very popular in Alberta and California (and, I presume, South Africa). They have annual conventions in North America that the Living Eck Master attends.

I'm not an Eck practicer (I am but a gentle Unitarian), so take this with a grain of salt. This information is from a pamphlet I got and my vague recollections of a seminar. I walked out of the seminar early because I was really creeped out, so I invite anyone with more knowledge (perhaps an actual practicer of Eck?) to add a node below.