This is a recipe I made up, though in looking at other chicken pot pie recipes I see that I stuck pretty close to the main ideas. (No I did not end up with chicken pan poptart – just stay on track). The real difference is the fresh lime juice, which is pretty crucial. It will make a taste that wakes up everything bored in your mouth. You could just buy a frozen chicken pot pie and add a bit of lime juice, but you don’t really want to cheese out like that do you?

You could use leftover chicken, or turkey for that matter and it will still be good. But you could also just cook up a chicken breast special, it is worth it. Do not be stingy with the chicken chunks, you are not going for those itty bits you find in canned soup, this is REAL food.

Also, I recommend a pre-made pie shell. When I try to make my own pie shells I can never guarantee deliciousness, whereas the store bought ones are never a bitter disappointment. If you are a freaky pastry chef by all means make your own.

Assemble the following:

1 chicken breast cut into decent chunks
1 pre-made pie shell, top and bottom
1 small can of mixed vegetables, rinsed
2 cans cream of chicken soup (or any creamed soup, no added liquid)
The juice of 1 lime
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. marjoram
2 TBS flour
A few spears of asparagus

Mix the cooked chicken, vegetables, soup, flour, lime juice, herbs and asparagus. Spread into a piecrust. Cover with other piecrust and mash the edges together with a fork. Make a couple of kooky looking vent holes. Bake at 350 for 45 min, or until the crust is browned. Hot damn that’s tasty!

If you want it to be really purty you can sprinkle it with paprika and make little marjoram flowers on the top.

Also, though I have not tried this, you MIGHT get good results with tofu instead of chicken, but I would marinate the tofu in garlic and lime juice first.