A Liverpudlian Dish

The traditional dish of scouse is so much associated with Liverpool that Liverpudlians are known as Scousers, as is their dialect and regional accent It almost certainly originally had its origins in a sailor's dish, Liverpool being a major UK port, the origins possibly being Scandanavian.¹ It's served hot and thick and spicy - lots of pepper seems to be the norm here.

As with so much traditional fare, recipes vary wildy. Ingredients were always highly variable, depending on the economic state of the family - when things were tight, and the family were on a shoestring budget, there would be less meat (or even none) and more spuds. The base ingredients are potatoes, carrots and onions in varying quantities, and traditionally, mutton, although these days, goat or lamb are substituted. Often, the very cheapest cuts of meat were used, and the cooking time therefore reflects the need to produce meat that is tender despite the stringiness of the original cut. The recipe below is a favourite of a Scouse friend of mine, and is delicious in the extreme.

Ingredients

5 pounds of potatoes (preferably "floury" in texture)
2 pounds of meat (usually a cheap cut)
2 large onions
1 pound carrots
1 small turnip or swede (optional)
1 stick of celery (optional)
1 pound tin tomatoes
2-3 stock cubes to taste
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Method

Cut the meat into small cubes (some people mince the meat), the potatoes into cubes, and the other vegetables into dice. Fill a pan with 4 or so pints of water, and add everything to the pot. Bring to the boil and simmer for as long as you can bear to - the potatoes break down, thickening the gravy and the meat tenderises and may even melt in the mouth rather than be eternally chewable.

Serve with cabbage or sprouts and some bread. Did I say it was delicious?


¹ SharQ says You can always add that the word "scouse" comes from the norwegian word "lapskaus" which is stew.