wow...

only 2 writeups on this topic? well, here's my do-say pennies.

i'm going to ignore the mp3 vs. 'alternative' audio compression vs. other storage media for a bit and talk about CD's vs. Vinyl.
the compact disk format is an excellent storage media for music. the full range of the *audible* range of audio can be stored on it, and it has and excellent life expectancy as compared to other media, such as tape or vinyl.
the quality and quantity of audio that can be stored on vinyl comes nowhere near the cd format.

i personally don't think that's the point.

they are fundamentally different in the *use of the media*!
music or audio (i mean, really, what is music?) stored on vinyl instantly becomes a musical instrument with an incredibly expressive range. it can be speed up, slowed down, reversed, looped, rehashed and refried in to sounds that bear little resemblance to the original sound.
yes... you cd dj's out there are saying to your selves that you can do the same thing with cd's now that you can do with vinyl, but i beg to differ. vinyl let's you put your hand on it. caress it. be the 1 to 1 instrument of manipulation. cd playback will never have this kind of love. no matter how many DSP's and buffers you put on them.

i don't think it is a random occurrence that 2 'turntables' were recently components of the instrument that was used to recalculate the value of gravity :)