My husband personifies the phrase 'it's okay, I landed on my head!' I have never in my life met anyone who can shrug off injuries like he can.

His mother tells me he's always been a pretty solid guy (a life-long fixation with weight-lifting will do that, I guess), and I've heard some crazy stories from his high-school days, like the time he ran through the safety glass on a fire-door without even slowing down. What really takes the cake though, is the rock-solid numb spot in the middle of his forehead.

During his adolescent growth spurt (culminating in a total height of six feet four inches, or 1.9 metres, for the unimperialistic), knocking his already remarkably thick skull on things became an unfortunate habit. Door frames, light fixtures, rafters, stair wells, cupboard doors, all became victims of the little cranium that could. The result is a spot about two inches (5 cm) square that has absolutely no feeling to it. One of his favorite tricks at parties is opening his mouth and letting someone rap their knuckles on the spot (much like knocking on a door) to produce a hollow sound. We laugh about this a lot, but it wasn't until the following incident that I learned just how solid that spot had become.

The husband brought home an exercise bar one day, one of those coiled steel things that are designed to be bent as a test of strength. I couldn't flex the thing at all, and handed it back to him, giving him the opportunity to impress me with his machismo. And he did! Bent it to a ninety degree angle with relative ease. And then he lost his grip.

TWANG! One end of the bar flew out of his hand, and smacked him right in the middle of the forehead at a speed of roughly way too fast. If this had happened to me, there would have been, at the very least, a bruise of epic proportions and possibly a concussion. In his case, the only pain he suffered was a bloody nose from the bar catching that protrusion on the way up. No bruise, no headache. Nothing.

My husband is unbreakable. I really hope he passes that on to our future kids.