This drug is also used recreationally. Due to similar chemical structure, it has the exact same effects as of Dimenhydrinate (also known as Dramamine) save that it is almost twice as strong, and causes a greater sedative effect. Under this drug you will likely feel these effects for about 3-7 hours (a common dosage is 8 pills or so):

  • A body high, so strong as to render you clumsy
  • A very strong drowsiness effect- It is a sedative
  • Intense Auditory and Visual Hallucinations - You may not even realize you are seeing things
  • Due to the high dose of antihistamine, your mucus membranes will be almost completely dried out, causing a dry throat pain.

Alternatively, one can go real hardcore and ingest upwards of 14-20 pills. DON'T DO THIS. EVER. Every one I have talked to who has done this, assuming they actually stay awake for the trip, have these types of effects:

  • All the effects of a lighter dose for about the first 2 hours, with gradual but potent intensification over time.
  • After about 3-5 hours, expect to black out and not remember anything for about the next 12 hours. If you (foolishly) popped more than 18 pills, this blackout could occur for even a few days. You may remember bits and pieces, but it will mostly be a potent, vague drunken-like blur.
  • During this period of blackout, you are likely to have a psychotic breakout. Needless to say, this may disrupt the wellness of your psyche permanently.
  • You are very likely to wake up in a hospital. Even if you don't physically hurt yourself (from the drug itself or from doing something dangerous while on it), your peers may be inclined to admit you due to your irrational state.

This is not a very safe recreational drug. There are some cases of allergic reaction to antihistamines such as diphenhydramine that only seem to occur at fairly high thresholds. In other words, even if you take this drug regularly for medical purposes, there could be a magic number of pills that induce anaphylactic shock.

Regardless of allergic reaction, high doses of antihistamines can cause very ugly effects, including difficulty breathing, seizures (rarely), nausea, extreme redness of eyes, etc. Also, expect a nasty hangover for a day at least.