The Habanero is one bad chile. Habanero in spanish means "the one from Havana" or "Havana-like." Ironically, the chile is rare in Havana but is common in the Yucatan area in Mexico. Other common names for the habanero are "Scot's Bonnet" or "Scotch Bonnet."

This chile pepper belongs to Capsicum chinense. The chile is cultivated commercially in Mexico and recently in the southwestern United States. The habanero plant averages between 1 and 4½ feet in hieght depending on the variety and climate. In tropical conditions the habanero can grow as a perennial. Habanero "trees" have been found over 8 feet high!

The fruit or pods are small, typically 1 to 2½ inches long and 1 to 1½ inches wide. The mature pod can be red, orange, yellow, white or even chocolate in color. The pods are HOT. The heat level of the pods vary widely depending on conditions such as climate, stress, maturity, etc. Nevertheless, they are usually very HOT and should be approached with respect and maybe even fear. Average heat rating is around 200,000 to 577,000 Scoville heat units. Not impressed? The typical jalapeño pepper is rated at 4,000 SHUs.

The mighty red savina habanero pepper is listed as the hottest chile in the world, as of this writing (early 2001). Red savina has topped the scale at a tongue blistering 577,000 SHUs.

This chile has a long and interesting history. Habanero seeds and dried pods have been unearthed in a cave in Peru that date back 6500 BCE. A Dominican priest, Francisco Ximenez, wrote in 1722 that the habanero was so hot that a single pod would "make a bull unable to eat" — not to mention mad as hell.

Never, ever cut or prepare habaneros with your bare hands. Use gloves. Also, wash your hands throughly, even if you use gloves. If you rub your eyes or touch any other "sensitive" areas of your body you will be sorry — they don't make pepper spray from habaneros for no reason.