Under the zero, the fool carrys his small bag of what? as he faces out into the void.

The gaze on his face is one of ecstasy, watching everything becoming. He is caught in this state, one foot over the abyss, never managing to step. Will he be like Roadrunner, and walk across the void, or like Wile E. Coyote, and fall...

Often likened to Parceval, or Par-ce-val, "through the center" (I probably don't have that spelling right) from the story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table: "through the center". This knight said to be a fool, but nevertheless, as for any fool, things still work out.


Upon further reflection, an elaboration:

The stance of the fool has always seemed to me to be the attitude one must take towards one's own creativity. I have never been one to feel I can control what I create. When I'm working best, I don't care what pitfalls lie below--I just move on, through the center, in a daze. I am a slave to whatever is at the other side. I could fall, and often I do, but sometimes I don't.

The fool, of course, is the source of the major arcana because of this attitude. All else is an elaboration of the first word, the first step, the first rapt venture into the unknown--all could fail, but all could succeed.