Though he is perhaps considered the greatest romantic composer, and is surely the most remembered, Chopin hated the popular musical romanticism of his time. The romantic composers were often tied up in a web of propaganda, playing each other's music, and writing reviews of new scores, discussing the modern styles and techniques that were developing. Chopin, though friends with many of the composers of the time, found Liszt’s music to be vulgar, was rather indifferent to Berlioz and Mendelssohn, and though he admired Beethoven, he thought his thunder to be overdone.

Throughout his life, Chopin remained primarily a salon pianist, and early decided to compose only for the piano. He was short, slim, and physically frail, and his playing became only a whisper in his later years. Realizing that he could not carry his sound through large halls, Chopin gave only a few limited recitals during his lifetime, and never invited more than three hundred people.

Chopin spent most of his life in Paris, mingling with only the best circles. He taught only privately, and the vast majority of his students were of high society - prince this or countess that. Considering himself a gentleman, Chopin concerned himself with style and taste.

Chopin was born in Zelazowa Wola, Poland, just outside of Warsaw, on (according to the parish register) February 22, 1810, however his mother insisted that it was March 1st, and she always celebrated it as such. Chopin’s talent was recognized early, and he was a wonderful pianist by the age of six. He was taught by Adalbert Zywny, who insisted on a heavy dose of Bach. Chopin’s first composition, a polonaise, was printed when he was only eight. Studying composition from Joseph Elsner, who urged him to compose classic pieces such as sonatas and concertos, his creativity was never molded or stifled. Elsner allowed Chopin to develop naturally, and thus can be thanked for giving us Chopin's untainted brilliance.

In 1829, Chopin traveled to Vienna and presented himself as a pianist-composer, introducing himself to Europe. He gave several concerts, both alarming and intriguing experts with his new style. He returned to Poland, and composed steadily while dabbling in a minor love affair. Feeling confident in his skill, Chopin left Poland permanently and traveled to Paris, stopping in Vienna for only a short while to make useful acquaintances. Chopin made his debut early in 1832, and soon became the talk the town. Schumann began to review every Chopin piece he came across, and once wrote about his famous Variations: "In the fifth bar of the adagio he declares that Don Giovanni kisses Zerlina on the D flat. Plater Count Plater, a friend in Paris asked me yesterday where her D flat was, etc.!" Finding himself integrated into the aristocracy of Paris, Chopin wrote home, "I have found my way into the very best society…I have my place among ambassadors, princes, and ministers."

Chopin soon found himself in a relationship with Aurore Dudevant, better known as the author George Sand, and was living with her by 1838. They spent the winter of 1838-39 in Majorca, however the trip was an absolute disaster. The constant rain and damp house caused Chopin’s tuberculosis to flare up, however, while there he managed to complete his famous set of twenty-four préludes. After returning to Paris, Chopin and Sand remained close, however, their relationship ended in 1847 when Sand's daughter, Solange fed Chopin lies of her unfaithfulness. After the break-up, Chopin had only a year or two left to live. By 1848 he had entered a terminal stage and was spitting blood. At the urges of a young friend, Jane Stirling – who was likely in love with him – Chopin visited England. However, he found the people exacerbating, and wrote about their remarks: "{All of their comments end} with the words: 'Leik Water,' meaning that the music flows like water. I have never yet played to an Englishwoman without her saying: 'Leik Water!!'" Chopin hurried desperately back to Paris, but did almost no composing, and began to wait for his death. Solange was at Chopin's bedside when he died on October 17th, 1849. Though George Sand had requested to be with him at his death, she was never invited.

Chopin easily established himself as a musical genius, and received remarkably little criticism despite his untraditional style. Chopin’s music was distinguished by his particular style of rubato, different than that used by Beethoven and Mozart. Classical style dictated that there be little tempo change throughout a musical piece, however, Chopin allowed his music to flow with new liberties, often speeding or slowing with the color of the tune. However, despite the apparent freedom of his own playing, Chopin demanded that his students keep strict time with the metronome, and he fed them large amounts of Bach and Mozart.

The piano of the 1830s was very similar to the piano of today in its abilities, however, classical composers never took advantage of the piano’s subtleties. Chopin was the first composer and pianist to compose beautiful colors, emotions and harmonies that could only be played on the piano. His pedaling and fingering soon became the standards for young pupils. Rather than playing from the hand and wrist like classical pianists, Chopin used the elbow and the arm, creating smooth, colorful melodies. He was the first to use functional ornamentation – ornamentation for the sake of the music rather than as a demonstration of skill or flashiness as was common in baroque pieces, especially Bach’s.

Chopin was an "absolute" composer, meaning that he never gave his music romantic names as was popular. Instead he used only abstract titles such as mazurka, waltz, polonaise, étude, scherzo, prélude, nocturne, fantasy, impromptu, ballad, variation, sonata, and concerto.

Nearly all of Chopin's music remains in the active repertoire. It was considered necessary in the nineteenth century to be skilled in Chopin in order to be a great pianist, and though Chopin has met with a bit more obscurity since then, he remains one of the most popular composers in the history of music.

Source: The Lives of the Great Composers by Harold C. Schonberg