'Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Brand Old-Time Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey' is a smooth whiskey made at the Jack Daniel Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Its name comes from the founder of the distillery, Mr. Jack Daniel himself, who began his license there in 1866.

Jack Daniel's (or 'Jack', or 'JD') is not a bourbon, it is a Tennessee Whiskey; this is because it is charcoal mellowed. After it slowly drips through ten feet of charcoal it is barrelled in oak and left to age. This process gives it a unique smoothness and taste that has led to it becoming an extremely popular whiskey throughout the world.

Nobody knows why the whiskey is known as 'Old No. 7', but the makers of JD are keen to preserve the sense of tradition that has always characterised their company, and so the whiskey's name and bottle label are the same now as they were in 1866. JD's advertising campaigns often reflect this sense of tradition and timelessness.

My favourite alcoholic drink is Jack Daniel's and Coke. The whiskey adds a tang to the coke that is really delicious. You must always use ice. JD is also great straight - remember the ice.

In the UK at least, Jack Daniel's is particularly popular with students. Posters and other memorabilia such as shot glasses and hipflasks are commonplace in a typical student bedroom, even if the owner is not a particularly heavy drinker. It's all about the image. JD is cool.

Jack Daniel's is also the base of many great recipes. For example:

Jack's Secret Weapon All-Purpose BBQ Glaze

This sauce is great for perking up any simply grilled meats, poultry or fish. Brush it on just minutes before you pull the meat off the grill.

1/2 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

I've not made this myself, but T.G.I. Fridays makes a great version of it.

So now you're educated, go kick back and enjoy a relaxing drink or five in the company of good friends. But do be careful - several shots of straight JD have been known to lead to illness, memory loss, or karaoke.

Some information from www.jackdaniels.com