The Legend of Zelda is possibly the best-known adventure game of all time. I say “Adventure” loosely because Zelda has elements of action, adventure, RPG, and puzzle games. Much to the confusion of non-gamers, Zelda is actually the Princess of Hyrule whom you must save. You actually play as a green-clad swordsman Link. Many people believe the name Link was used because he serves as a link between the player and the game.


Zelda Glossary

Armos: It’s a statue. Or that’s what you think until you touch it and it attacks you
Dodongo: A mix between a dragon and a rhino. Weak against explosives.
Fairys Flying Medics. They heal Link a lot.
Ganon: Spelled Gannon in Zelda I. An evil pig monster bent on world conquest and the Triforce.
Ganondorf: A thief with a suspiciously similar name to Ganon.
Goron: A race of rock eating creatures. Can grow to be huge
Hyrule: The kingdom where Zelda takes place.
Impa: Zelda’s Nurse.
Keese: A bat
Leever: A fast moving enemy that pops in and out of sand. Seen in beaches and deserts.
Link: You, the hero. Destined to save Hyrule.
Like Like: An annoying amorphous creature that thinks your equipment is tasty.
The Master Sword: This sword can only be wielded by a hero (Link) and smites evil. Needed to kill Ganon most of the time.
Moblin: A lot like a goblin, only more pig-like. Enemy.
Octorock: An octopus that spits rocks at Link. Seen on land and water.
Peahat: They’re like Leevers that fly with helicopter blades
ReDead: A Mummy.
Stalfos: A Skeleton.
Tektite: Jumping spiders.
Triforce: The sacred collection of three golden triangles, each one for power, wisdom, and courage. They grant their owners wishes and imbue them with powers.
Wallmaster: These severed hands will come from the ceiling and teleport you to the beginning of the level.
Zora: Fish-people. May be enemy, may not, depending on the game.


There have been to date 8 Zelda games officially published by Nintendo for North America

The Legend of Zelda Released: July 1987 For: NES
The classic that started it all.

The Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure: Released: December 1988 For: NES
Very different from the other Zelda games, and more like an RPG.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past Released: April 1992 For: SNES
Zelda III. Considered by many to be the best Zelda game.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Released: August 1993 For: Game Boy
Also released in December 1998 as Link’s Awakening DX for Game Boy Color, with a color dependent dungeon

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time Released: November 1998 For: N64
Zelda 3D. This was one of the most hotly anticipated games of the year, and was delayed several times. However, when finally released it was a crowning achievement, and one of the few titles for the N64 that was truly great.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Released: October 2000 For: N64
You only get 3 days to save the world of Termina

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages Released: May 2001 For: Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance
Save Nayru, the Oracle of Ages, and restore the screwed up Time flow

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons Released: May 2001 For: Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance
Save Din, the Oracle of Seasons, and restore the screwed up Seasons. This and Oracle of Ages could interact and share info, so that if you beat one, you unlocked things in another.


Other games include BS-Zelda, a remake of Zelda I for the SNES, which never found it’s way to America. Made for the Phillips Cdi by Phillips, Zelda: The Faces of Evil, Zelda: Wand of Gamelon, and Zelda’s Adventure were all horrible, horrible games that most Zelda enthusiasts don’t consider real Zelda games. Link has also made an appearance in Super Smash Bros. and, along with Zelda, Ganondorf, and Young Link, in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Soon coming is Zelda: Four Swords, a remake of Zelda III for the GBA that will feature multiplayer (a first for Zelda) and the as-of-yet unnamed Zelda game for Gamecube, which will feature a revolutionary cel-shaded look caused an insane amount of controversy when the news first hit the internet. Many people were very upset about this sudden change in Zelda. Most of us got over it though and are now looking forward to its release. Its plot involves Link’s sister, Arill, and presumably saving her. Because that is what Link does best.