Most Esbat rituals (that is, rituals designed to in some way celebrate the moon and/or the feminine divine) include somewhere in the procedure the taking of cakes and wine. Many people, however, are unsure of what constitutes a "cake," and being that most Pagan practitioners are also rather do-it-yourself regarding their lifestyle/religion, I thought it would be helpful to introduce a recipe for an appropriate "cake."

For those of Celtic traditions (or just those who would like to have a nice dash of Welsh culture in their rituals), I submit this recipe as a tasty change from the usual fare; they're simple as far as taste goes and easy to make, and they're very grounding (which is cake's purpose after all!). This recipe can be used for any purpose but it is especially oriented toward goddess-oriented celebrations. These cakes are also known as "Tiessennau Mel," the recipe's original title.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Sieve together the flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl. Separate the egg and add the yolk to the butter/sugar mix (reserving the white). Add the honey gradually and mix thoroughly, then mix in the flour mixture with a little bit of milk so that the batter is stirrable but thick. Whisk the egg white into a stiff froth and fold it into the batter. Half fill muffin tins with the mix. Sprinkle a little sugar on the tops. Bake at 425ยบ F for 12-15 minutes, longer if needed to be cooked through.

Yield: 12 muffin-like cakes
Source: Paraphrased from Croeso Cymreig, A Welsh Welcome
Use for: Esbats

Pagan recipes