In England, people don't eat PB&J sandwiches. They eat peanut butter on bread with other stuff, like nutella, as described by hatless above. And they eat jam on bread with other stuff, like cream cheese, for one. When I was staying with my English foreign exchange student, her mother asked me what kind of sandwich I'd like her to pack me for lunch. She ran down the list of possible ingredients, naming at least 12 different meats, cheeses and condiments and not putting peanut butter and jelly anywhere near eachother in the list. I told her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich would be fine, thinking that would be easiest and would certainly suffice. Her entire family looked at me like I was from another country or something. Well, yeah.

So anyway, although she crinkled her nose in disgusted dismay throughout its preparation, she completed my request and I brought my lunch with me to school. When it came time to eat, I found that she had used three slices of bread, spreading peanut butter on one, jelly on the other, and then separating the two with another slice in the center, as if she couldn't bring herself to let the two spreads touch eachother. For the duration of my trip, I ate nutella on my sandwiches, and its a delicacy I have introduced many of my fellow Americans to since I've been home.