was the first nanotechnology
. History has been the highly contort
ed process of humanity learning to understand itself physically
ually. This phase of the Earth School
is mastery of physical. The mastery of nanotechnology
ous with mastery of genetic engineering
. There is a word to describe what such a technological novelty
would be, though it is rarely if ever spoken above a whisper:
Complete programmable control over physical matter at the molecular
scale implies examples such as the following:
Graduation day from physical reality
An architect designs an office building on a computer. On completion, she merely has to tap a key--the building is constructed, molecule by molecule, by microscopic machines right before her very eyes.
- With sufficient knowledge of the chemical compositions, one may easily turn any kind of biomass into food for the entire planet. See blue goo.
- Nano-Napster: search a database of physical object designs and download (replicate) whatever you wish. Say goodbye to supply and demand. Information is free. See what happens when all matter becomes information?
- Nano-replacement: attach a tiny nanobot to each neuron in your brain; all inputs and outputs are monitored until the behavior can be perfectly predicted; kill every neuron; you are left (hopefully) with a fully functioning mind with merely a new physical substrate.
- Imagine the transformation of fashion when you can change hair color, hair length, skin color, or even gender as easily as washing your hands.
- Want to be a dolphin? A bird? An interstellar butterfly? A beam of white light? I kid you not.
may be sooner than you think. The Singularity
approaches only more swifter as each day passes. Everybody has felt time speeding up.
Each one of us is a word of approximately 700,000,000 characters, and this word is made flesh when the sperm and the egg form a zygote and the DNA textural message is downloaded into matter. Now we are on the brink of decoding the human genome, and the end result of this is that the flesh will be made word.
I know when the world will end
- Terence McKenna