At San Antonio College, our student center is near the library, hence near where my classes are. This means that if I walk quickly enough, I can swing over there for a boiling mug of coffee or cocoa and run with it into the classroom and plunk my fat ass down right before class is due to begin.

my experience with the food there is a good one. They serve a very decently sized hamburger, cheeseburger salad, or chicken sandwich for about $4. If you spend another $1.50, you get a 32-oz drink (they have Mountain Dew]!) and a large serving of "Crispy Crinkle" or "Golden Crinkle" (I can't remember which one) fries. The iceberg lettuce you get on your sandwich is not the shredded wilted variety you'd find in most fast food joints. It's newspaper-sized sheets that you must somehow avoid pulling out with your first joyous bite.

The Student Center also has a small concert hall, and every Friday they offer free concerts, spa Day (you get a free massage before an exam) And cheap coffee or cocoa.

The coffee is $1.39 for a 12-ounce cup and I don't know what they put in the cocoa but it's addictive as all hell. It appears to be 10 cents per ounce but I could be wrong. Our student center also accepts debit or credit cards, which is really really nice if you rarely if ever carry cash on hand.

In short, pay attention during orientation when the office of student life is speaking about the services they offer. Even if you're attending for only one semester it's worth knowing what's out there. Have fun, study, and pass those classes!