A novel by John Knowles, it comes a very close second to A Separate Peace.

Set right after World War II, it follows parentless soldier Cleet Kinsolving and his return from fighting in the Pacific, as he makes his slow lazy way back home.

Home for Cleet is Connecticut, but instead of heading directly there upon his arrival back in the States, he decides to hitchhike cross-country, overwhelmed with a sudden whim to see more of the country he lives in.

Half-Indian, one gets the impression that Cleet would love nothing more to climb trees naked and run barefoot and mostly, fly. That, and the 'great wide bowl of heaven' that seemed to occupy the space is enough to make him stop near a lazy airstrip somewhere in the midwest, where he gets a job as crop duster.

Christ, he said, as he sat up, I do believe this is the day I conquer the world or something.

Cleet doesn't necessarily have formed ideas and plans for his future, but he recognizes that going home may just stifle him, and tire him as to forget what he finds really important, constrain him. Cleet is a brilliant character (at least, to me) because he is young, strong, and very aware of his formless dreams. Without having given them shape or definitive boundaries, he is positive that he will do something great, and very aware of how the people that claim him as family and friend may very well trap him forever.

Circumstances play otherwise,though and Cleet is faced with a situation where he really has no choice but to go on home, and one senses his frustration at having almost escaped, almost broken away and started shaping the life he wanted.

Knowles portrays Cleet as an extremely striking character, as one who doesn't say anything if there's nothing to say, and someone who radiates a very balanced sense of self. What is terrific about this is one gets to read what Cleet is thinking, and all the while he protrays a steely, impassive, unshakeable exterior, his inner thoughts are scrambling. The balance and cohesion of both aspects of Cleet is terrific.

The bulk of the novel deals with Cleet and his interaction with the Reardon family: the father who made the money; the son, Neil, who was always Cleet's best friend and in hiring him as a 'do-it-all' secures his return back home; Neil's wife, and her sister, unfazed by the wealth and from a poor family. The Reardons, as his friends and surrogate family, have an ineffable hold over Cleet that he feels more and more constrained by the more he thinks about where he wants his life to go.

I know I haven't done justice to the book here, but I cannot find any reviews online to give me a more structured overview, so I have written this as I could. What I find so stupendously wrenching about Cleet's character is the way Knowles details his thoughts almost lazily, but still imparting the sense of urgency Cleet feels about life.


This book is currently out of print, I bought it at the library book sale for 50 cents. I have dog-eared it on almost every other page, and this node is part of my continued project to node my library.