I invented this soup sort of on the fly, Mom was out and I needed to whip up a presentable dinner. The only vegetables we had were some potatoes, vivid orange butternuts and loads of onions. It looks sort of similar to Jinmyo's recipe, same basic ingredients, I guess, only it may take less time to make and probably has less subtlety. You'd only need one saucepan or pot the whole way through, and it takes about 30 minutes from beginning to end.

  • Follow Jinmyo's directions for cutting the squash. (Any way you cut it is fine, actually.)
  • Peel and dice a large white onion. Saute in olive oil until glassy.
  • Throw in diced butternut, (Potatoes too, if you want, but that's optional). Salt lightly. Leave uncovered on low flame, stirring occasionally until the squash browns on the edges.
  • Add some water. Not much, you don't want the veggie to float, only rest barely submerged.
  • Cover pot, let it simmer until the butternut is cooked through.
  • Blend the soup. I use a handblender, it eliminates extra dishes etc.
  • Add salt if needed, doubtful.
    Throw in some black pepper.
Granted, this isn't very scientific recipe, but it works, and it's relatively quick, and I think it's YUMMY..