Insane mosh pits? Eh . . . if you say so. I've been in theirs, and they ain't too insane. Anyways, that's not the point. Rage Against the Machine is a solid band in my opinion - musically they have a lot to offer. Tom Morello is a wizard with making weird guitar noises, and the rest of the band plays tightly.

However, I find their political beliefs hard to swallow. I understand that everyone's gotta make a living, but the hypocrisy in their posturing is still very apparent. Sure, they argue that they're getting their message to more people, but the integrity of their message is being compromised to do this. Look at a band like Fugazi - fiercely anti-corporate, and has existed on their own independent label their whole career. Yet they have developed a huge following and legions of devoted followers and garnered a ton of admiration, my own included.

It's a tough call. Another complaint I have is their fans. Not all of them obviously, but a good number of them are suburban upper-class white kids with everything they ever wanted. I've seen many of these. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them liking the music, but when they say "America sucks! Fuck the system, we're being oppressed", I have to draw the line. These kids have never been oppressed in their lives. Never had trouble with the law. All of a sudden, they hear a song on the radio and fancy themselves political theorists and comrades of a new revolution.

Jesus Christ.

However, to their fans who agree with their politics and understand them, as well as, of course, enjoying the music, I say more power to you. Keep fighting the good fight.