When you think of Irish cuisine a lot of people automatically think of spuds. This is perhaps a little undeserved, but the Irish really do know how to cook a potato.

Colcannon is a supremely simple dish, not only its preparation, but its ingredients as well. It is basically potatoes, cabbage and onions, 3 of the most humble vegetables, but this traditional and hearty dish manages to achieve that most elusive thing in the kitchen - alchemy. You really do end up with a dish that is much more than spuds, cabbage and onions.

Considering the humble ingredients, I would imagine that colcannon started life as a peasant dish, or poorer people trying to make the best of the meager ingredients that were on hand. It is not without irony then, that an Irish chef who immigrated to Australia, Liam Tomlin makes a version of colcannon at his decidedly up market restaurant, Banc in Sydney. His version includes pancetta and king prawns and is served with a thick slab of roasted blue eye cod. It is a rendition of colcannon that the originators of this dish would have found both unimaginable and unobtainable.

It does serve to demonstrate however that colcannon can be as humble or decadent as you like. Here is a more humble version

Ingredients

  • 1 quantity of mashed potato
  • 1/4 savoy cabbage
  • 6 green onions (scallions) - (or try green garlic), sliced
  • 2 Tbs chopped flat parsley.
  • 30 gm (1 oz) butter
  • 4 rashers crisply grilled bacon (optional), chopped
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Method

    Prepare the mashed potato. I suggest LordOmars's recipe, using 4 large potatoes - about 1 kg. You really need to make your own mash; the powdered packet version just doesn't cut it. Make sure to keep the mash a little chunky.

    Remove the core from the cabbage and cut into small wedges. Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil and plunge in the cabbage for 2-3 minutes. Drain and add to a larger pot, along with the mashed potatoes, green onions, parsley and bacon (if using).

    Set over medium heat and warm through for 2 or 3 minutes, gently stirring to combine. Add the butter, salt and pepper, stir again and serve.

    Colcannon can be treated as a side dish, or the main event if you are really skint.