This is the ultimate grown-ups ice cream. The crème fraiche lends a gently sour flavour, which plays nicely against the punchy taste of the vodka.

If the truth be told, this recipe is a favourite of a well known Sydney chef, however, I have found the original recipe to be a little wanting. Every time I made it, the ice cream set way too hard. So I started thinking what would make the ice cream softer and provide flavour. Vodka!

Alcohol has the effect of lowering the freezing point of confections, most notably ice cream, and if you choose an alcohol that provides flavour, all the better. What this means in practice is the ice cream will set softer, resulting in a softer mouthfeel and happier diners.

At work we serve this ice cream with a rhubarb and vanilla tart, but it is so lush you could serve it all alone.

Ingredients

  • 9 egg yolks
  • 220 gm caster sugar
  • 500 ml (2 cups) cream
  • 600 ml (2 1/3 cups) crème fraiche, or sour cream
  • 50 ml (2 Tbs) vodka
  • Method

    In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar. Heat the cream until it comes to the boil. Pour onto the yolk mixture and whisk well to incorporate.

    Transfer the mixture to a heavy-based saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir continuously until the mixture reaches 85 °C (170 °F) or has coated the back of the spoon.

    Strain into a large cooking bowl and allow to cool. Whisk in the crème fraiche and vodka, then churn in your ice cream machine. Remove and place in the freezer until set.