To: politicalcommitteestatus@fec.gov

I am extremely upset and displeased that the FEC is even bothering to debte the concept of free speech. To restrict the ability of non-profit organizations to state their case to the public is an anathema to the Constitution. I may not agree with some of the organizations' positions, but I strongly support (and protected during my military service) the right they have to express their opinion in a public forum freely.

Sincerely,

Alix Paultre.


In case anyone here didn't know, the FEC has just posted for public debate the following:
March 11, 2004. The FEC is undertaking this rulemaking to determine whether the current definition of "political committee" adequately encompasses all organizations that should be considered political committees subject to the limitations, prohibitions and reporting requirements of the Act. A similar review of the definition of "expenditure" and its implications, along with the rules for allocating funds for activities involving both federal and nonfederal elections are also a part of this rulemaking.

Commenters wishing to testify at the hearings on April 14 and 15, must submit their request along with their written or electronic comments by April 5, 2004. Those who do not wish to testify must submit their written or electronic comments by April 9, 2004

All electronic mail comments should be addressed to Ms. Mai T. Dinh, Acting Assistant General Counsel, and must include the full name, electronic mail address, and postal service address of the commenter. Faxed comments should be sent to (202) 219-3923, with printed copy follow-up to ensure legibility. Written comments and printed copies of faxed comments should be sent to the Federal Election Commission, 999 E Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20463.