Ingredients:

For the filling:
1 1/2 cups nuts (try a mix of pistachios, walnuts, and blanched almonds)
1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds
2 Tbs. sugar

For pastry:
1/2 pound filo pastry (12+ sheets)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter

For the syrup:
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbs. honey
1 stick cinnamon

Let the dough thaw for a bit before starting.

Chop all the nuts into small bits, but not crumb-size. Combine the nuts with sesame seeds and sugar.

Now preheat the oven to 300 F. Butter the bottom of an 8-inch square pan.

Working with the filo is the only tricky part of this recipe. If you let it dry out too much, it crumbles in your fingers. If it gets damp, the sheets stick together and tear. Keep the dough covered when you're not getting a sheet (or just work fast). It takes just a little practice, but then it's easy.

Melt the butter (about 20 seconds in a pyrex cup works for me)

Lay the first sheet of filo in the pan. (The filo sheets are much larger than the pan, so you'll be folding the them back to fit inside). Brush butter over the top, then lay another sheet. Repeat this 3-4 times. Spread a layer of the nut mixture (about 2 Tablespoons). Lay another sheet, then butter. Alternate layers of nuts and dough until you use all the nuts. Lay 3-4 more buttered sheets of filo. If there's any more butter left, pour it over the top.

Take a sharp knife and cut the uncooked baklava into squares (or diamonds if you prefer). Bake at 300 F for half an hour, then at 350 F for another half hour. Remove and let cool.

Combine the syrup ingredients, and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the cool baklava. Let it seep in.

Enjoy