Jazz 101: An Opinionated View With Recommended Listening

(Originally the text of a handout given to attendees of a lecture given by the author)

There’s no right or wrong about Jazz. Jazz is what you hear. Just like food, or wine, or books – Jazz is what you like.

JAZZ IS NEARBY

Leader and trombonist Steve Davis, David Hazeltine, pianist, and Nat Reeves on bass all reside near or in West Hartford:

"Darn That Dream" (Eddie DeLange - Jimmy Van Heusen)

Steve Davis, trombone; Steve Nelson, vibes; David Hazeltine, piano; Nat Reeves, bass; Joe Farnsworth, drums. From Steve Davis: A Portrait In Sound Stretch Records SCD-9027-2

Jazz can be easy to listen to; with sounds that we find familiar.

“Jumpin’ With Symphony Sid” (Lester Young)

George Shearing, piano; Warren Chiasson, vibraphone; Dick Garcia, guitar; Wyatt Ruther, bass; Lawrence Marable, drums. Recorded April 28, 1960 in San Francisco. Originally recorded on a Capitol LP, now available on The Definitive George Shearing Verve 314 589 857-2

DEFINITIONS OF JAZZ

Jazz – an American art form and an international phenomenon.

"Jazz is not the result of choosing a tune, but an ideal that is created first in the mind, inspired by one’s passion and willed next in playing music."

Jazz music is less than what is transcribed note-by-note onto sheet music or suggested by sheet music or chord changes. It is in the act of creating the form itself that we truly find Jazz.

An academic definition of Jazz would be: A genre of American music that originated in New Orleans ca. 1900, characterized by strong, prominent meter, improvisation, distinctive tone colors and performance techniques, and dotted or syncopated rhythmic patterns.

“When The Saints Go Marching In” (Traditional)

Heartbeat Jazz (Scott Black, cornet; Sherman Kahn, clarinet and tenor sax; Al Brogdon, trombone and tenorhorn; Bill Logozzo, drummer and leader; Bob Price, banjo; Ed Cercone, piano; Mike Belba, bass) from their album That’s It ToneSoup Productions www.tonesoup.com

Art in general hosts an invitation for the viewer or listener to invest a personal attentiveness. Unlike other mediums, the nature of music leans toward the emotional rather than intellectual. It is this personal connection with music and all art that enables the patron to actually experience what is being communicated, rather than merely understanding the information. While all forms of music share this dynamic, Jazz, with its unique characteristic of collective improvisation, exemplifies it.

Most genres of music involve the listener into the realm of the completed work as it was scored. Jazz draws the onlooker to a deeper league, that of a partnership so to speak, of being along when each new phrase is created, when each inspired motive is often the interactive result of audience involvement. Jazz music’s dynamic is its “newness” which can be attributed to the defining component – improvisation.

While Classical music may strive to conform the musical tones to orchestral sonorities, Jazz music thrives on instrumental diversities; the player’s individual “sound” becoming the desired proficiency. This is where the passion is, a kind found nowhere else.

Man, if ya gotta ask, you’ll never know.

Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong

Like the self-motivating, energetic solos that distinguish the genre, Jazz continues to evolve and seek new levels of artistic expression. In slightly over one hundred years, evolution has given birth to approximately two dozen distinct Jazz styles. Jazz music draws from life experience and human emotion as the inspiration of the creative force, and through this discourse is chronicled the story of its people. Jazz musicians and those who follow the genre closely can indeed be thought of as an artistic community complete with its leaders, spokesmen, innovators, aficionados, members and fans.

THE MUSICIANS SPEAKING TO ONE ANOTHER

Stan Kenton, in a 1950s radio broadcast said, "Jazz is a distinct music that depends and thrives on individuality and yet the individual is not oblivious to others nor is he immune to their feelings. Jazz is free. Through spontaneous improvisation, a musician expresses his personality consciously and subconsciously. His music, with its variation of melodic lines and rhythmic patterns, can establish a changing flow of attitudes just as those revealed by a facial expression or a gesture even without words."

"A session in jazz," said Kenton, "is comparable to an open forum where theories and opinions are discussed openly and freely. Without inhibition or the fear of being reprimanded, a soloist rises and speaks without the aid of notes or previous preparation. Speeches with words of various inflections and insinuations are replaced with a flow of melodic, rhythmic music. One soloist will speak for himself on a chosen topic and then retire to hear the feelings of another on the same subject. On occasions, they will speak of happy things, then those of a more serious nature, sometimes somber and even tragic. All phases of life's emotions are felt and experienced in jazz."

“Somewhere” (Leonard Bernstein/Stephen Sondheim – From the play “West Side Story”)

Aretha Franklin, lead vocal, piano; Phil Woods, alto sax solo – Cornell Dupree, guitar; Ray Brown, bass; Bernard Purdie, drums. The Quincy Jones Orchestra, conducted by Quincy Jones. Produced by Quincy Jones and Aretha Franklin. Arranged by Quincy Jones and Luther Henderson. From the album Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of The Sky) Atlantic #7265

Quincy Jones has worked with nearly every major jazz and popular artist of note during his nearly sixty year career. But it was Aretha Franklin’s rendering of Leonard Bernstein’s “Somewhere,” from West Side Story, that provided what he describes as one of the most emotionally affecting experiences of his entire career.

“This is a recording,” he says, “that, when I leave this planet, is what I want them to play. It’s one of the most moving vocal performances I’ve ever experienced or witnessed in my life. And Aretha played piano too. God just came in and took over the whole space; you can really feel it.”

Bernstein had a similar reaction. “When I played it for him,” continues Quincy, “he just cried like a baby.”

THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK

The previous two song selections are from popular sources; the first, a traditional, representing the very roots of jazz in the African-American diaspora. The second, a portion of what is arguably the finest work of contemporary Classical American music, with all due respect to Gershwin’s “Rhapsody In Blue” and the works of Samuel Barber. Much jazz finds its melody in popular music and what we call “Standards,” songs which have stood the test of time – and also melodies that are so finely crafted they’re embraced by myriad artists in myriad styles.

Songs that come to mind include “My Funny Valentine,” “Mack The Knife,” “Over The Rainbow,” “But Not For Me,” “I Get A Kick Out Of You,” “Summertime,” and more. Let’s now take a “walk around” composer Harold Arlen’s “Come Rain or Come Shine,” in all vocal renditions, with fabulous lyrics by Johnny Mercer:

“Come Rain Or Come Shine” (Harold ArlenJohnny Mercer)

Billie Holiday, vocal; Harry “Sweets” Edison, trumpet; Benny Carter, alto saxophone; Jimmy Rowles, piano; Barney Kessel, guitar; John simmons, bass; Larry Bunker, drums. Recorded August 25, 1955 in Los Angeles. From Billie’s Best Verve CD 314 513 943-2

Judy Garland, vocal; Orchestra under the direction of Mort Lindsey. Recorded Live at Carnegie Hall Sunday April 23rd, 1961. Judy Garland Live at Carnegie Hall Capitol 40th Anniversary Edition 24-Bit Digital Remaster 2-CD Set 72435-27876-2-3

Frank Sinatra, vocal; Orchestra under the direction of Don Costa. From Reprise Sinatra and Strings, recorded in Los Angeles, November 21, 1961; Also on Frank Sinatra: the Reprise Collection Reprise 9 26340-2 (4 CD Set)

From Holiday’s charming, ultra-restrained, innocent-sounding but very hip rendition of the tune; basically a standard reading with few “bells and whistles;” simply Ms. Holiday’s fine instrument shining through, we then move forward just a few years to the early sixties, when jazz was becoming more and more frenetic (influenced in part by the onslaught of the new “rock ‘n roll” sensation and the need for popular singers to compete; and not stay separate. Garland’s entire 1961 tour, culminating in what some find to be cabaret kitsch but others insist is one of entertainment’s finest hours – her famous arrival at Carnegie Hall to play to a star-studded audience, who awarded her standing-ovation after standing-ovation. Now, finally, if you have any doubt about what “swings” and what doesn’t. Sinatra’s famous Don Costa arrangement of “Come Rain or Come Shine” swings so hard it’s nearly a caricature of swing – but not quite. If the strong chords and almost over-the-top counter-melodic voices were added to any other song, or the arrangement sung by, let’s say, a female singer, it would sound like a cheap stripper’s song. However, Costa pulled it off, and Sinatra’s added dose of “cool” turned what could’ve been a tawdry disaster into a haunting image-setting piece that swings and tantalizes and is artistic enough to leave an image etched almost visually in one’s mind’s eye.

“Pennies From Heaven” (Johnnie BurkeArthur Johnston)

Frank Sinatra, vocals; Count Basie and His Orchestra. Arranged by Neal Hefti. Frank Sinatra: the Reprise Collection Reprise 9 26340-2 (4 CD Set)

Performed by over seventy-five major stars ranging from pop singers like Andy Williams and Peggy Lee to Jazz Masters the likes of Dave Brubeck, the simple song “Pennies from Heaven” was given new life when handed to brilliant arranger Neal Hefti for performance by swinger Frank Sinatra and debatably the “swinginest” big band there ever was, “Count” Basie’s Orchestra.

Ella Fitzgerald, who, in jazz terms “owned” the song “It Don’t Mean A Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing,” said on the record many times over the years that nobody could swing like Basie. We’ll visit more Standards later. First, we’ll investigate what happens when one jazz master decides to pay tribute to another.

“Captain Bill” (Monty AlexanderRay BrownHerb Ellis)

Gene Harris, piano; Bob Cooper (tenor saxophone solo), Jon Faddis (trumpet solo) and the Gene Harris All Star Big Band. Original issue: Tribute To Count Basie Concord CCD-4366, also available on Gene Harris, The Best of The Concord Years (2 CD Set) CCD2-4930-2.

JAZZ EXPOSED TO A BROADER AUDIENCE: TELEVISION

Without arrangers, the guys who write the music for the orchestra, which is played note-by-note, behind the “cats” who are improvising, there wouldn’t be such dramatic, spectacular music as that which you’ve been hearing. Arrangers don’t just spend their time arranging, they’re out there, typically on the West Coast, so they compose, too. Here’s a little bagatelle that Neal Hefti, the arranger of the “Pennies From Heaven” track, and an arranger who worked closely with Basie for many years, composed for a television program you may or may not remember.

“Batman Theme” (Neil Hefti)

Nelson Riddle and His Orchestra (Available on Rhino Records' TV Themes CD - Try to get Hefti's version if you can find Hefti's Batman album on vinyl.

Now an interesting question, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Hugo Montenegro’s “Theme From ‘I Dream Of Jeannie’” has been utilized in commercials, on “Jeopardy” in questions, in “samples” in Rap songs – but now it’s gone full-circle and has been used as a counter-melody in a rendition of a cabaret favorite.

C’Est Si Bon (J. Seelen – A. Hornez – A. Betti) incorporating "Theme From 'I Dream of Jeannie'" (Hugo Montenegro)

Quinn Lemley, vocals, Bob McDowell, piano; Jim Donica, bass; Lee Jeffryes, drums; Raphael Reyes, percussion; Ed Zadd, guitar; Mark McDonald, alto sax; John Isley, tenor sax; Brad Detrick, trumpet. Arranged and Conducted by Bob McDowell. From www.quinnlemley.com.

Something as simple as a well-known childrens’ song can provide a melody which the correct jazz artist manipulates with thrilling results. Famed vocalist and pianist Shirley Horn aced a tune originally penned by Joe Raposo for the venerable youngsters’ program “Sesame Street.” (Beside Shirley, Sinatra also did this tune justice, as well as a few other pop and jazz singers.)

"(Being) Green" (Joe Raposo)

Shirley Horn, solo piano, vocal. Recorded April 30, May 1-3, 1993 in New York City. Available on Light Out Of Darkness (A Tribute To Ray Charles) Verve CD 314 519 703-2

HOW DO I LOVE THEE? LET ME COUNT THE WAYS...

Perhaps a million composers have tried to subtly convey one person’s interest in expressing love (whether emotional or otherwise) to another in a way that stands out from all the others.

But how few have become classics? Let’s hear what the master of romantic phrasing has to say about it all, first, using the words and bossa nova rhythm of the inimitable Brazilian composer Antonio Carlos Jobim, a master of subtlety, and then something totally different, the politically-incorrect words of prolific composer Irving Berlin:

There's no use,
For a moonlight glow,
For the peaks where winter snow,
What's the use of the waves as they crash in the cool of the evening,
What is the evening? Without you, it's nothing.

"If You Never Come To Me" (Antonio Carlos Jobim)

Frank Sinatra, vocals; Antonio Carlos Jobim, guitar. Arranged and Conducted by Claus Ogerman. Studio Orchestra not credited on re-release: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim Reprise CD 9-46948-2.

Why don't you sit this one out and while you're alone,
I'll tell the waiter to tell him he's wanted on the telephone.

You've been locked, in his arms, ever since Heaven knows when,
Won't you change partners and then, you won't ever have to change partners again.

"Change Partners" (Irving Berlin)

Frank Sinatra, vocals; Antonio Carlos Jobim, guitar. Arranged and Conducted by Claus Ogerman. Studio Orchestra not credited on re-release: “Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim” Reprise CD 9-46948-2.

And years ago (1943 to be exact), Burton Lane and Frank Loesser came up with a song that (Heaven Forbid!) suggested that a man and a woman were going to have intimate relations out of wedlock… “I’d be just one of your affairs, but at moments like this, who cares?” croons our singer, hell-bent on hedonism. As an aside, the album, “The Art of Excellence,” is one of Bennett’s finest albums, and certainly one of the most finely engineered of his albums ever. One rarely finds such a combination of restraint and breezy nonchalance, without carelessness, in any genre of musical recording.

"Moments Like This" (Burton Lane – Frank Loesser)

Tony Bennett, vocals, Ralph Sharon, piano; Joe Labarbera, drums; Paul Langosch, bass; The U.K. Orchestra, Ltd. Arranged and Conducted by Jorge Calandrelli. From the Columbia CD The Art of Excellence CK 40344 (1986)

JAZZ AND ADDICTION

When the affair finally is over, jazz has a way of conveying a feeling like no other music genre. Unlike Country & Western, Jazz doesn’t need words. Unlike Classical, it’s without a smidge of pretense. What you hear is what you get. Unlike pop, there’s no veneer; perhaps that’s why some people are actually afraid of jazz. The emotions get too raw sometime.
Occasionally, all of this emotional baggage gets the best of the already very sensitive souls who play and sing jazz; resulting in problems like drug addiction and mental illness. Charlie “Bird” Parker was asked once, why, after earning fame and cutting many successful recordings, he lived in a humble hotel room on the West Side of Manhattan. Parker showed the needle tracks on his left arm and told his inquisitor, “this is my house,” then showing the tracks on his right arm, finished with, “and this is my Cadillac.”

"The Making of 'End of a Love Affair'"

(out-take) an out-of-it-Billie Holiday (singing without background and speaking during the taping of “End of a Love Affair”{Edward Redding}) for the Columbia Album Lady in Satin with Ray Ellis and his Orchestra and Vocalists (February, 1958) Columbia digitally re-mastered CD CK 65144

At the end of the day prior to the disaster contained on the track listed above, which protracted the recording of this fabulous album (Ms. Holiday’s personal favorite), a sound engineer found himself extremely thirsty after coiling cables and generally getting the studio in order. A water pitcher and glass were in Ms. Holiday’s booth, so rather than leave the studio and perhaps have to take the elevator to a lobby water fountain, he lifted the pitcher to his mouth and took a large gulp. To his surprise and disgust, the contents of the pitcher wasn't water; it was ice and cheap gin.

The record was completed (in ’58, two separate recording rigs were used, one a conventional monaural studio with ¼” tape, and the other, equipped with the brand-new Ampex 1” stereophonic tape recorders). However, not a lot of dubbing was done, and edits were done with razor blades and tape. Sound-on-sound, at that time, heavily diminished the quality of the underlying signal, and would have to be done by recording the orchestra very loudly, then solos, and finally, the vocalist. Not a lot of room to work with. Regardless the obstacles all persons involved had to work with (including Ms. Holiday and her demons, who would only have nineteen months to live following the recording of this album) the final product was a fine one, and sold well.

"For All We Know" (J.F. Coots – S. Lewis)

Billie Holiday, vocals; The Ray Ellis Orchestra, Ray Ellis, arranger and conductor. Lady In Satin Columbia digitally re-mastered CD CK 65144

KEEPERS OF THE TORCH

How could one do a dissertation on jazz without discussing the trend of late for singers of rock or soul music to attempt to tackle jazz, or at the very least the Great American Songbook. Linda Ronstadt started this phenomenon in the ‘80s when she cut three albums of standards arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle. The albums were superb. However, a singing dog could accompany a 40-piece orchestra with Nelson Riddle arrangements and still sound fantastic. Her latest release, also featuring standards, accompanied by a combo, is of a different quality altogether, and has little merit. Nat "King" Cole's daughter Natalie Cole has addressed her fathers repertoire on her late '90s album Unforgettable, With Love. With regard to “rockin’” Rod Stewart’s three nods to the Great American Songbook, It's a pity that he couldn't find a better arranger nor a better vocal director. Otherwise, he might just have something there. What a shame.

Which brings us to the young lady heretofore named “Queen Latifah.” A long-time “rapper,” she's lately been showing off her singing (some music lovers dismiss rap and hip hop music as being nothing more than hoodlums jumping up and down pounding drums and chanting about committing crimes). However, recently on a road tour of the Broadway Hit “Chicago” Ms. Latifah (her given name is Dana Owens) showed her chops. She’s come out with a delightful album of popular music, both standards and pop, jazzed up and ready to go. The selection picked here is not only chosen to demonstrate what great young talent can do with a very, very difficult song (this one’s hands-down among the top five most difficult to sing in the jazz repertoire) – but this selection also amazes on another level. Written by Billy Strayhorn, a protégé of Duke Ellington, the tune has long been known to bring up deep emotions in listeners and evoke a sense of “sophisticated longing.” When thinking of the composer, those unfamiliar with Strayhorn imagine a mature man, perhaps a Julliard graduate, who comes from old money. Nope. Strayhorn was a poor black musician merely eighteen years of age when he wrote “Lush Life.”

"Lush Life" (Billy Strayhorn)

Queen Latifah, vocals; arranged by Mervyn Warren; Will Kennedy, drums; Mervyn Warren, piano; Reggie Hamilton, bass; with orchestra. From The Dana Owens Album A&M CD b0003435-02

SOURCES:

  • http://www.sjcav.org/page.asp?n=Eventdetails&i=2131&z=4
  • http://www.apassion4jazz.net/jazz.html
  • http://www.cleveland.oh.us/wmv_news/jazz9.htm
  • The writer's experience with the topic.