Jethro Tull was also the first band to ever win a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal Or Instrumental, which was quite a controversial event. The category was created in 1988, and the voting may have been ill-advised due to no previous presence of such an award. The loudest protests came from Metallica and their fans, spearheaded by Lars Ulrich, who strongly believed the award had been wrongfully dispensed. Three years later, Ulrich's petty nature shined through when he sarcastically "thanked" Jethro Tull for not producing an album that year during the acceptance speech for the Grammy they received for ...And Justice For All.

This is another case where the fans of each group will most likely stay loyal by siding appropriately. A parallel can be drawn between this situation and certain instances in Olympic history where gold medals have been given seemingly in error. A notable example of "Finders-Keepers" would be from the 2004 Summer Olympics where American gymnast Paul Hamm was asked to return his gold medal due to a judgement error that put Yang Tae Young of Korea in third place for the bronze.

When a governing body of judges makes the final decision of who takes an award, leaving the public opinion of the results to chance, there is ample room for trouble to stir. Ultimately, the question of fairness is always debatable; but then again, life is not fair.

CERTAIN FACTS MAY DIFFER DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU RESEARCH THIS FOR VERIFICATION. I HAVE USED Grammy.com AS MY SOURCE FOR ACCURACY.