<< Article 37 | Constitution of Ireland | Article 39 >>

  1. No person shall be tried on any criminal charge save in due course of law.
  2. Minor offences may be tried by courts of summary jurisdiction.
    1. Special courts may be established by law for the trial of offences in cases where it may be determined in accordance with such law that the ordinary courts are inadequate to secure the effective administration of justice, and the preservation of public peace and order.
    2. The constitution, powers, jurisdiction and procedure of such special courts shall be prescribed by law.
    1. Military tribunals may be established for the trial of offences against military law alleged to have been committed by persons while subject to military law and also to deal with a state of war or armed rebellion.
    2. A member of the Defence Forces not on active service shall not be tried by any courtmartial or other military tribunal for an offence cognisable by the civil courts unless such offence is within the jurisdiction of any courtmartial or other military tribunal under any law for the enforcement of military discipline.
  3. Save in the case of the trial of offences under section 2, section 3 or section 4 of this Article no person shall be tried on any criminal charge without a jury.
  4. The provisions of Articles 34 and 35 of this Constitution shall not apply to any court or tribunal set up under section 3 or section 4 of this Article.

<< Article 37 | Constitution of Ireland | Article 39 >>