A few random points (no pun intended) about fencing:

  1. Sabre fencing bears little resemblance to baseball bat-fu, or any other form of combat that involves a bludgeoning or cutting weapon. Weighing in at only 500 grams, the fencing sabre is far lighter than a "real" blade, and hence requires an entirely different fighting style.
  2. The difference between classical fencing and modern (or "olympic") fencing is the subject of many "my kung fu is better than yours" flamewars on the fencing newsgroup. Classical fencing seeks to recreate the techniques that would be used in actually fighting a sword duel, while modern fencing is more sport-oriented (i.e. let's see who can score the most points within a certain rules framework).
  3. Why does a martial art have to relate to self-defense anyhow? How many people carry a katana or nunchaku with them on a regular basis? Shall we disqualify martial arts using those weapons too, since they are not practical for self-defense?
  4. Modern fencing is a fast-paced, athletic sport. For sheer excitement (to play, that is; watching is another matter) the only other sports that come close are racquet sports like squash and racquetball.
  5. Even the cups protect a woman's breasts reasonably well. Most of the serious women fencers I've known have worn a plastic chest plate, which gives pretty comprehensive protection.
  6. After the first time a woman demolishes you on the strip, you will get over any hangup you may have had about poking them. They can take it. Really.