Pudding created by mixing fruit pulp (or some other aromatic substance), whipped egg white, and a milk-based mass such as custard or cottage cheese. Many recipes use cream; cheaper versions use gelatin or maize starch. If well prepared, produces a very light dessert.

Industrial versions, sold in supermarkets in 'lobed', fez-shaped containers in transparent plastic, are very popular as a ready-made dessert, at least in the Netherlands.

But it really isn't difficult to prepare. Prepare the whipped eggwhite, the fruit pulp, and the pudding mass separately, leave the latter to cool, then gently fold the substances together with a spoon so as to preserve the structure of the egg white. Pour the substance, which by then should be fairly stiff, into the mold (prepared with water or eggwhite) and leave in the fridge to set for a few hours.

There is one catch: the setting effect of gelatin is completely annihilated by the enzymes present in certain fruits. Pineapple fruit pulp for instance must be heated before use in a gelatin-based bavarois.

Stefano Milioni's website informs us that this dessert, whose literal name means Bavarian in French, was originally a chocolate beverage ('bavarese') invented in Turin, Italy.