So what makes this such a great song? If you think it's the lyrics, let me ask: what makes you stop and listen to the lyrics?

To me, it's the perfect instrumentation and execution. If you want to know what the musical term andante, stepping, means, this is the perfect example. It goes on and on and on, always light, but never losing its concentration.

The motor behind the song is the fantastic bass line, supported by soft, almost tender drums; they lift the song up right from the start and go on and on and on like a clockwork, patiently and unceasingly. The solo guitar has a similar atmosphere: it spins its lines without any urgency, working towards a careful climax, always sharp, but never really raising its voice, and with impeccable precision. The vocals are a little flat in comparison, but still reach the same degree of perfection in timing and atmosphere.

Although it is in no way an attempt to imitate, this song could never have existed without the Beatles. It owes much to them: the light and playful approach to the bass and drums, and the dry precision and perfectionism with which the music is treated.

The Eagles are more skillful musicians. A few years ago I saw them doing a concert performance of this song and it was perfect; I had to watch closely to convince myself that they were actually playing it live. (The Beatles couldn't replicate their best studio work live, one of the reasons they stopped touring in 1966.)

There is another Eagles song with the same characteristics: One of these nights. All the rest, as far as I know it, is different and more simplistic in style.