I would like to add that properly, Sufis still fulfill the religious duties delineated in the Five Pillars. Sufism implies additional methods used to get closer to God. Sufis still should perform Salat like all other Muslims, for example. They still pay the Zakat and perform their religious duties. Hamza Yusuf said that the Sufis always had a fine tradition of being hard on themselves and easy on everyone else. Unfortunately, he goes on to say, the disease of this age is that Muslims are frequently easy on themselves and hard on everyone else.

The false Sufis, who abandon the Sunnah, are people of deviation within the ummah.

From http://www.haqq.com.au/~salam/sufishar/sufishar.html:

The Shari`ah is of fundamental importance to the Sufi path. This point is very strongly made by the great Naqshbandi Sufi, Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi (also known as Imam ar-Rabbani), in his letters. Here is a small excerpt from one of his letters, where he clarifies this topic: 

The Shari`ah has three parts: knowledge, action, and sincerity of motive (ikhlas); unless you fulfil the demands of all these parts, you do not obey the Shari`ah. And when you obey the Shari`ah you obtain the pleasure of God, which is the most supreme good in this world and the Hereafter. The Qur'an says: "The pleasure of God is the highest good." Hence, the Shari`ah comprehends all the good of this world and the next, and nothing is left out for which one has to go beyond the Shari`ah. 

The tariqah ("way") and the haqiqah ("reality") for which the Sufis are known, are subservient to the Shari`ah, as they help to realize its third part, namely, sincerity. Hence they are sought in order to fulfil the Shari`ah, not to achieve something beyond the Shari`ah. The raptures and ecstasies which the Sufis experience, and the ideas and truths which come to them in the course of their journey, are not the goal of Sufism. They are rather myths and fancies on which the children of Sufism are fed. One has to pass over them all and reach the stage of satisfaction (rida) which is the final goal of suluk ("travelling", i.e. the Sufi path) and jadhbah ("overwhelming love"). The purpose of traversing the stages of of tariqah and haqiqah is nothing other than the realisation of ikhlas which involves the attainment of rida. Only one out of a thousand Sufis is graced with the three illuminations (tajalliyat sih ganah) and gnostic visions, given ikhlas and elevated to the stage of rida.

(Quoted from "Sufism and Shari`ah: A study of Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi's Effort to Reform Sufism," by Muhammad Abdul Haq Ansari, pp. 221-2. Originally from Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi's letters, Vol. I:36.)