Born on October 3, 1925 at the military academy at West Point, Gore Vidal is the grandson of Oklahoma senator Thomas Pryor Gore.

Trivia:

Vidal shares a stepfather with Jackie Onassis and is a distant cousin of former Vice President Al Gore. He was an uncredited writer for the Charleton Heston classic film, Ben Hur. For those with less of an inclination for modern American literature and political commentary, he can probably be most famously remembered for his role as Director Josef in Gattaca.

Quotes

A good deed never goes unpunished.

Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so.

Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half.

I'm a born again atheist.

It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

I might be President by now if it weren't for this 'queer' thing

In the next few years, the empire is going to strike back at the Internet in the interest of protecting our children from porn, drugs and terrorism - all of which the U.S. government will claim is being peddled by the Internet. There is not a trick they won't pull to get control. After all, what better way to control everyone's mind, or at least the input of information?