I made sushi three times recently using Magenta's instructions. I used rather boring fillings of cucumber and avocado with some gomasio thrown in, but it was nonetheless endlessly tasty. I'd like to share a few reflections on the preparation:

water is useful

Keep a bowl or cup of water nearby.

While putting the rice on the bed of nori, occasionally dip your hands in the water to mildly moisten them. This will keep the rice from sticking to your hands as you manipulate it. Be careful not to let water drip on the nori, as that may cause it to deform.

When you near finishing rolling your delicious sushi, wet your fingertip and run it along the edge of the nori, then finish rolling. This will make the seaweed stick to itself and help keep the maki together.

And when you cut the roll, dip your knife in the water. This will keep the rice from sticking to the knife, and make the whole action much easier.

thoughts on knives

Get a sharp one. Longish. Make sure it's clean. Don't use the knife from a Leatherman, like I did. Way too short. Hold the maki very gently as you make a swift motion with the knife along the handle-blade axis. Don't apply very much pressure with the knife at first, as you will squash the roll without cutting through the seaweed. Once you are through the first bit of nori, you can use more pressure.

making rice

You can use a pot. You'll have some burnt rice at the bottom. You can make Fan Nung if you like, or you can even just pick it up and munch on it.

I also used a steamer to make rice. It recommended more water than rice, but I just used equal amounts. Cooks for fifty minutes, and it's done. Very convenient and simple, if slow. No burnt rice, which can be good or bad depending on what all you want to prepare.