The day after the Virginia Tech massacre, one of my classmates said something that has to be one of the most stupid and insensitive things I've ever heard. He suggested that the killer's body should be left above ground to rot (we were discussing the killings, prompted by our teacher). I don't know if he meant against the family's wishes, but if so...

What would that accomplish? The killer is dead, so he probably won't/wouldn't be angry/upset by this act. Why would he care, besides possible concerns for his family's anguish over this act. How is not giving him a proper burial going to accomplish anything? What if the family wants him to have a proper burial, even if they believe he doesn't deserve it? Would my classmate be willing to devastate them like that?

Would it satisfy his victims' families and friends (or the victims (injured or dead) themselves, for that matter)? Does my classmate think they are all that cold hearted? Has he never read Antigone (granted, there are considerable differences between the two situations)?

It makes me slightly queasy to think that one day this man (my classmate) might be helping to run this country. Will his ideas of justice and punishment clash with others'? I highly regret that neither I nor any of my classmates spoke against him. Our teacher didn't even reprimand him. The next time you wonder how so many cruel things could be happening in this world...