Charles E. Coughlin. A Catholic priest who became a top-rated radio personality of the 1930s, with sermons that struck a nerve in people battered by The Great Depression. A proto-televangelist, selling "religious" tchotchkes and such to his audience - he had 50 million listeners in the US at the peak of his popularity. He branched out into politics, founding the National Union for Social Justice and Social Justice magazine.

Huey Long and FDR eventually stole some of his populist thunder and constituency. He had once supported Roosevelt and the New Deal, but when radio fame made the padre nouveau riche, his ox was gored by some of FDR's policies. The president became a whipping-boy and "rival" for the increasingly-hysterical Coughlin, who, it would seem, came to see himself as America's führer-messiah.

Maybe Coughlin wanted to be president, but, being Canadian-born, he could never be elected - only a coup or similar event could get him real power. Reduced to "kingmaker" status, he pledged allegiance to the "vast anti-FDR conspiracy", and is now remembered for the company he kept - America First, and the darker right-wing and anti-semitic parts of the vast coalition.


He wasn't the first (or last) cleric to tell you how to vote and what to believe, but he stumbled onto the sheer power in the combo of politics, broadcasting, and the trust that a "flock" (whether in a church, or gathered around the radio or television) puts in its pastor. Which makes him, though near-forgotten, very important: he paved the way for Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson... and Rush Limbaugh.