I had one of my twice-yearly dental appointments today; it's my last one before gittin' out o' Dodge, so it was disappointing to not have Linda, who normally does my teeth, there - she's off on sick leave. But her absence also meant I didn't have to sheepishly confess that I hadn't been flossing as often as I should - I promised her I would floss three times a week, but I have dropped off to as little as three times a month on occasion. As always, my most diligent flossing has come during the week of my appointment.

The PA at the dental office had a local Lite Foo radio station on, a welcome change from the identikit country station that was on last time (see: October 7, 1999), but not as good as the oldies station that I'm used to hearing there. But it burbled quietly in the background, and I settled into my usual zen-like calm, even if Linda wasn't there. I just lay back in the chair motionless, save those times I was told to tilt my head this way or that, motionless, as a charming woman poked, prodded, and scraped on my teeth and gums with precision instruments. It's not as good as a dose of nitrous, but there's a special feeling in the stillness and calm.

The lack of flossing hasn't been a problem yet; my gums are fine. But there may be the beginnings of cavities in my front teeth, and that scares me more than the distant potential of gum problems due to lack of flossing. As usual, I received my free toothbrush and floss upon my exit. I think they will both be used with increasing frequency in the future.