The nature of a weapon lies in it's application, i.e. a pistol is nice for "home security", but you can't exactly mount a bloody assault into a enemy camp with a 9mm. In the military sense, the word "assault" is somewhat similar to "offensive", i.e. assault weapons are weapons best used for just that. M-16's are the hallmark of american assault weaponary because of their versatility, although they can't hold a candle to an AK-47 in terms of durability. Any weapon can be used to assault someone, per se. But you need a special kind of weapon to mount a full-scale assault, just like how you need a special kind of soldier to save the president's daughter, Rambo!

Effective assault weaponary lies in it's, as earlier stated, versatility in the face of diverse situations, i.e. an M-16, if used properly, can drop a mark at 1 klick (see: kilometer), as well as shower bodies at close range with hot lead. A pistol? 20 meters, if you're a good shot, although this varys from make and model. A shotgun? 4 meters will give you a loose spread pattern unless you're firing slugs. The two previous weapons don't have widespread military use, (the pistol being the exception with officers) because they aren't very versatile. Sub-machineguns are neat if you're a terrorist, or involved in any close-quarters urban combat. But they just aren't all that practical in a military setting. You need assault weapons!