The mace is a common medieval weapon, and is very popular in most Fantasy Role-playing games.

The mace is in essence a much improved club. Being a wooden handle with a stone or iron head. The design of the head varies wildly with some being spiked, some flanged, and others having pyramid shaped knobs. Some ceromonial maces will even have perfectly round heads with no protrusions at all. The mace was one of man's earliest metal weapons, and were designed to be more effective than the universally used club.

The ancient Romans often provided bronze headed maces for their allies, as they were cheap to manufacture. But they seldom used maces themselves. By the 14th century two basic head designs had become prominant. The first was round with extended nodes or spikes. While the second featured geometrically shaped vanes extending from the handle itself. Maces became more and more decorative leading up to the 16th century, with may Polish and Turkish maces having elaborate onion shaped heads.

The mace became a symbol of power and status during the middle ages. Higher ranking Army Officers and Nobles would often carry highly decorated maces that had been produced especially for them. The owner of a mace was usually recognized a s a person of power and influence. While the number of flanges and general design of the mace could be used to determine the owners status.

The Knight's mace was the more common of the professionally produced maces. Having an 18 inch handle, a wrist strap, and an elaborate head. The Knight's mace was designed to be used on horseback, and were often constructed completely from metal.

The Footman's mace was a much larger, heavier mace. Requiring two hands to swing properly. These maces usually had a wooden handle, and would feature far less ornamentation than their smaller cousins.

The morning star was eventually invented as an improvement on the overall design of the mace.