Zellers is a Canadian discount department store that was founded in 1931. They sold a wide variety of Atari games in the early 1980's. But they didn't bother getting their games from Atari themselves. Instead, all of their games were bootlegs manufactured in Taiwan and sold without any licensing from Atari. They came in very plain packages, usually a simple red box featuring some strange artwork, the name of the game, and the words "2600 Compatible" in big white letters. Zellers could have claimed ignorance in the matter, but they had their name printed in small letter in the price square on the top right corner of the box.

All the Zellers games were already released Atari 2600 games given new names and packaging, Radar is Cruise Missile, Busy Police is Keystone Kapers, etc. Some games did end up slightly altered graphics, and Zellers appeared to have few unique titles, but this is only because they bootlegged prototype games as well.

The cartridge labels themselves are also different with a very simple end label and the same artwork that is found on the box. Atari was eventually able put a stop to all of this and Zellers quit selling 2600 games. These games were only sold in Canada, and therefore they are quite hard to find in the United States, but they are not too difficult to locate in Canada. These games were once thought to be very rare, but people quickly learned otherwise when they found out that these title were all over in Canada. Games in the original box are still quite rare, even if the cartridges are easy to find. Since there were no Zellers catalogs back then, no one is entirely certain what their full lineup of games was.

Many people find it difficult to believe that a major corporation would engage in wholesale piracy, but Zellers did, and on a massive scale at that.

Zellers Games