The United States Fencing Association, (or USFA), is the National Governing Body for the sport of fencing in the United States, (as provisioned by the Amateur Sports Act of 1978).

The USFA was first organized in New York in 1891 as the Amateur Fencers League of America. They soon became affiliated with the Féderation Internationale d'Escrime, (the international federation for fencing). The USFA was first incorporated, (as a non-profit organization), in Pennsylvania in 1964. They officially became the United States Fencing Association in 1981. In 1982 they opened their National office at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. 1983 brought Carla-Mae Richards as the USFA's Exectutive Director.

Mission Statement from the USFA homepage.

Mission: The mission of the USFA is to develop fencers to achieve international success and to administer and promote the sport in the USA.

Goals:

  • earn international medals
  • expand membership
  • increase the number and quality of coaches and integrate them into the USFA
  • increase public interest in fencing
  • make the USFA an effective and efficient organization.

The USFA's fencing teams compete in the World Championships, the World Under-20 Championships, the World Under-17 Championships, the Pan American Senior Championships and the Pan American Junior Championships. Additionally they select the teams for the Olympic Games, Pan American Games, and World University Games.

Competitive fencers are issued classifications by the USFA. A, B, C, D and E are the classes, (with A being the highest). Good performance at high level events will earn fencers a better classification.

The USFA also sponsors wheelchair fencing competitions, (and took the 4th place medal at the Paralympic Games in 1996).

For more information about the USFA, (and fencing in general), please visit the USFA home page at
http://www.usfencing.org/